My Spring and Summer Passion

I realize this is LRH forum, but I'm excited about paddling a few small rivers now that spring is here. Spring turkey season is less than two weeks from now, but everything kind of goes on hold this time of year. I bought a fishing kayak a couple of years ago and now I'm completely hooked. I picked up another kayak this morning and can't wait to take it out tomorrow. If you love spending time in the great outdoors and either drift along with the current or get some upper body exercise, try kayak fishing on small rivers off the beaten path. Ultralight tackle and trout or small mouths are so much fun.
View attachment 561385View attachment 561386
How's the new kayak working out?
Local river and creek smallmouth fishing has been very good this year so far.

How's the new kayak working out?
Local river and creek smallmouth fishing has been very good this year so far.

I love the new kayak. Stable yet light enough. We have been very dry here for the last month. It made for significantly skinny water in the small rivers I like to paddle and fish. Finally getting some rain now. The shoal bass and small mouth on light tackle is my definition of fun and I get some good needed exercise paddling a few miles to boot.

My buddy took me out trolling for musky last weekend. It was a slow day (only one) but hoping to get back out with him again next month. I actually prefer fishing small rivers and creeks.

Attachments

• 508D2273-8EEB-4251-99AD-630D2B8D7298.jpeg
    508D2273-8EEB-4251-99AD-630D2B8D7298.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 30
Oh man. Crappie fishing was an early passion for me the couple years we didn't migrate. That Pic brings back some memories, frying them was like meat chips.

Have tried to re start my love for sport fish, not fully back but did some this spring. This thread has me thinking I'll need some light tackle and go try for some small fish to re visit some childhood memories this fall.

Crappie and other panfish are still close to the top of the list for a fish fry. My mouth is watering this morning thinking about it. I visited with an old friend recently. We spent two days with a bunch of red wigglers and bobbers fishing from a small flat bottom boat. Caught a mess of crappie and big fat brim. The feast afterwards was awesome, but the laughs and simple pleasure of spending time together was the real treat.

I agree panfish are just great table fare. Having a group of close friends and family to share it all is something special. I tried a low heat sauteed teriyaki style recipe that was just awesome and easy to make.

Years ago I fished with a friend that would grind up all the pan fish fillets and make some pan fried patties.
Perch are another excellent eating fish and second favorite, walleye is my number one for eating.

@Mark37082 what is the length of the new kayak? Looks too long to fit in the back of a pickup
It's close to 12'. We haul two around in short bed pickups all the time. I have the smaller CK1 as well. The CK is bit more nimble and a few pounds lighter, but the Shoalie has some well thought out features that make it a great fishing kayak. Sadly, the Old Town canoe hasn't left the saw horses in a long time. Some outfit the Shoalie with trolling motors and electronics. It would be awesome to have if you fished lakes or flat and deep rivers. It would not work well for shallow water rivers where access can be challenging.

It's close to 12'. We haul two around in short bed pickups all the time. I have the smaller CK1 as well. The CK is bit more nimble and a few pounds lighter, but the Shoalie has some well thought out features that make it a great fishing kayak. Sadly, the Old Town canoe hasn't left the saw horses in a long time. Some outfit the Shoalie with trolling motors and electronics. It would be awesome to have if you fished lakes or flat and deep rivers. It would not work well for shallow water rivers where access can be challenging.
Thanks for the info. I've been pondering getting one. I may shoot you a pm to get a bit more information once I decide to commit.