My Model 70 Winchester saga continues.

Marplot

A friend bought a Model 70 H&H Winchester with an online auction. He offered it to me a really bargain basement price. He has one, himself and wanted me to get the same rifle and I could go hunting with him. He has a ranch with some elk and other critters.

BUT! The auction got totally screwed up and we "lost" the auction. Very sad and frustrating saga. Not worth while going into. But I got really excited and began looking for another one.

Short background on me. All my life my wife and me have been penny pinchers in the extreme. But we wisely invested.

Two dear friends died, another friend's wife died. All the plans they had hoped to do, "someday" were over, too late!

It was earth-shattering to us. They died wealthy but never enjoyed the fruits of their labor.

At 80 years of age, I got a big-time wakeup call! Wife and I are in great health, but truthfully there are less years ahead as much as are behind. So have made good investments and decided to buy things that we always wanted!

So that's what we are doing. You may see some of our guns, cars, and others.

So the Model 70 at a really good price was gone. SO I got looking again! These guns are becoming expensive, especially Pre-64 and 300 H&H magnums! Also hard to find.

I saw one on GunsInternational (it was 3x the price of the auction we lost), I called the seller and was asking for a better price. He laughed and said he had sold it the first day he listed and had a "lot of people" still wanting it.

So I kept looking and was ready to pounce! Wife agreed. This one popped up and I saw it immediately, called the seller and agreed to his price, no questions asked! Gave him my credit card immediately, and it was mine.

It was substantially more than the others, but one of the most beautiful guns I have ever seen! Engraved, carved, checked all the right boxes. But I thought about my deceased friends who had passed on and never bought the things they ever wanted.

Well, I wanted to do some hunting and target practice. BUT I can't take this gun into the woods, it is too perfect, maybe unfired or just 2 or 3. But some target shooting should be just fine. So I am loading a few rounds and pop some paper.

Here are pictures, sharing my joy, and if you have been waiting and telling your wife, "Someday I'll", do something fun before it is too late.

Attachments

• IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3367.jpg
    IMG_3367.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 180
  • Pre-64-Custom-Model-70-by-HandH-Zehner-of-Germany-300HandH-Near-New_100828962_34984_ADD5BF73D...jpeg
    Pre-64-Custom-Model-70-by-HandH-Zehner-of-Germany-300HandH-Near-New_100828962_34984_ADD5BF73D...jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 182
  • Pre-64-Custom-Model-70-by-HandH-Zehner-of-Germany-300HandH-Near-New_100828962_34984_3CF1EA86B...jpeg
    Pre-64-Custom-Model-70-by-HandH-Zehner-of-Germany-300HandH-Near-New_100828962_34984_3CF1EA86B...jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 186
Indeed ……beautiful! And yes, to pretty to hunt with……and least the kind of hunting that my rifle has occasionally been subjected to!

Now that you've purchased the Model 70 you've wanted for years…..many opportunities are on the horizon! 😉

Congratulations on snagging that, I hope that it will serve the purpose to which you intended! memtb

Truely a beautiful rifle. I have always thought the only thing better than perfectly executed wood stock was the same stock...with some honest hunting scars and the stories to go along with them. Time IS short and you can't appreciate that pristine stock from the grave. I say use it and down the road you will see more than a beautiful stock. You will see a beautiful stock while remembering the hunts that gave it character. I am old enough to have realized that you never remember the 'stuff' in the great stories of your life.

A friend bought a Model 70 H&H Winchester with an online auction. He offered it to me a really bargain basement price. He has one, himself and wanted me to get the same rifle and I could go hunting with him. He has a ranch with some elk and other critters.

BUT! The auction got totally screwed up and we "lost" the auction. Very sad and frustrating saga. Not worth while going into. But I got really excited and began looking for another one.

Short background on me. All my life my wife and me have been penny pinchers in the extreme. But we wisely invested.

Two dear friends died, another friend's wife died. All the plans they had hoped to do, "someday" were over, too late!

It was earth-shattering to us. They died wealthy but never enjoyed the fruits of their labor.

At 80 years of age, I got a big-time wakeup call! Wife and I are in great health, but truthfully there are less years ahead as much as are behind. So have made good investments and decided to buy things that we always wanted!

So that's what we are doing. You may see some of our guns, cars, and others.

So the Model 70 at a really good price was gone. SO I got looking again! These guns are becoming expensive, especially Pre-64 and 300 H&H magnums! Also hard to find.

I saw one on GunsInternational (it was 3x the price of the auction we lost), I called the seller and was asking for a better price. He laughed and said he had sold it the first day he listed and had a "lot of people" still wanting it.

So I kept looking and was ready to pounce! Wife agreed. This one popped up and I saw it immediately, called the seller and agreed to his price, no questions asked! Gave him my credit card immediately, and it was mine.

It was substantially more than the others, but one of the most beautiful guns I have ever seen! Engraved, carved, checked all the right boxes. But I thought about my deceased friends who had passed on and never bought the things they ever wanted.

Well, I wanted to do some hunting and target practice. BUT I can't take this gun into the woods, it is too perfect, maybe unfired or just 2 or 3. But some target shooting should be just fine. So I am loading a few rounds and pop some paper.

Here are pictures, sharing my joy, and if you have been waiting and telling your wife, "Someday I'll", do something fun before it is too late.
I finally found my long lost Dad. Don't forget me in your will. lol

Yes! I will take it with me and enjoy each other.

It is like my wife. We have been married for 26 years. I love every line, every wrinkle. And she loves me the same way. Every day is a fresh, new wonder. This is about life, we go back to the Font and have replenishing moments. And make new wrinkles, lines that are roadmaps of our time, our treasure, our history together.

I will be careful with my "new" Model 70 Winchester, but it needs to be my companion even if it collects a new wrinkle and history. I think that some "inanimate" things have an intrinsic life. It wants to be with me. It wants to hunt. And I will be there with it.

It has been a safe queen for about 66 years, since it was created, commissioned by an American office stationed in Germany in 1958. Now it wants to be used!

Yes! I will take it with me and enjoy each other.

It is like my wife. We have been married for 26 years. I love every line, every wrinkle. And she loves me the same way. Every day is a fresh, new wonder. This is about life, we go back to the Font and have replenishing moments. And make new wrinkles, lines that are roadmaps of our time, our treasure, our history together.

I will be careful with my "new" Model 70 Winchester, but it needs to be my companion even if it collects a new wrinkle and history. I think that some "inanimate" things have an intrinsic life. It wants to be with me. It wants to hunt. And I will be there with it.

It has been a safe queen for about 66 years, since it was created, commissioned by an American office stationed in Germany in 1958. Now it wants to be used!
Eloquently stated buddy! Good luck with it. BTW. Wouldn't mind some jerky sent down to Florida 😃