My ladder test

coupalr

Here is my 300WM ladder test that I did at 300 yards.

The loads were 72gn RL-22 up to 74gn in .2gn incriments.
210gn Berger bullets
Nosler brass
Fed 215M primers.

target002.jpg

300 yards eh? Well if you want to get picky then graph the vertical spread of each shot and the velocity string and look for a node, or just use which ever load you want from that ragged cluster and call it good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Too bad you hit the yardstick, did you call that one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edge.

no chrony data?
2-3 is the most obvious... but I hate looking at 10 shot ladders with no chrony downrange. 20 shots is easier to make sense of if no chrony.

I have been shooting the 72.2gn load which is the second shot of that group. I found that the rounds I fired with 74gn and higher were stretching the primer pocket more than I liked. It has given me great accuracy and I have shot a few 3" groups at 600yards with less than 1" vertical spreads. Here is some info on my rifle. It is a trued remington action,bedded in the factory sendero HS precision stock wearing a 28 5/8" #7 contoured Ted Gailard (canadian) barrel.It has a 6.5-22X50 Leupold Mark 4 scope mounted in Farrell rings and bases on top.

That has to be the largest picture I have ever viewed portions of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously , it looks like a painting its so big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just curious what these rounds are coming out of , length of bbl etc .

I just got back from the range shooting my 300 winnie with RL22 and 190 smk's . Strange doings for sure .

I had previously developed a load using these components that has shot .3's at 100, .7's at 300 and 2" and a bit groups at 700. Load was 73.2 grs. of RL 22 under a 190 smk out of a 28" bbl. This load was avging 3050 over an Oehler 35p.All this out of a 28" Broughton 5c bbl

A short time ago I realized that I had not pushed this combo to the doorstep of the OP dog ( overpressure )So , I loaded up some all the way to 74 grs . 73.5 grs had a esof 15 and sd of 7 for 5 rounds and went into .4 something at 100 , 73.8 grs also had a es of 15 and a sd of 7 for 5 rounds and went into .3 something at 100 , 74. grs had a es 0f 22 and sd of 9 and went into .162 at 100. The first two strings were 5 shot groups and t6he last was 4 shots because I did not want to fire the fourth shot...............not because it might mess up the group but because I wanted to weigh iot to see if I had put the last two strings out of order in my ammo box . The velocities were that crazy with the last 5 ( 4 ) shot group.

I will pursue this madness , 3100 fps 190smk's is kicking for an accurate load out of a 300 winnie and there are no op signs at all !

Reckon my point is to " keep on looking " you never know what you might find .

Jim B.

6mm,

Sorry ,I missed the specs as that big picture had the post spread about 4 feet wide on my screen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW you may want to consider shooting your ladders at 200 or even better 300 yds to get a better fix on the nodes . When you say stretching your primer pockets , how much after one firing and so forth ? Thanks

Thanks Eaglet for fixing it so I could view it .

Jim B.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW you may want to consider shooting your ladders at 200 or even better 300 yds to get a better fix on the nodes

[/ QUOTE ]

Original post, first sentence: [ QUOTE ]
Here is my 300WM ladder test that I did at 300 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimm, slow down pardner, it ain't no race. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Forkie , I never know when to post a smiley or just let it be discovered as humour .

6 mm man , good dang shooting , all my Wildcat bullet ladders are round too . Now if I can just figure out why........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Jim B.

Oh... I got'cha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jimm

I did not measure the stretch in the primer pockets. I just knew it was to much when I could push new ones in with my thumb.

I wanted to get out this weekend and shoot some groups at 600yrds but the wind has not stopped blowing since Friday night. Today will be no different with 30mph winds up here in South Saskatchewan.

6mm,

About a month or so ago I talked with a fellow that had been on the match circuit along with Creighton Audette . Somewhere in the conversation the subject of primer pocket expansion came up . " Mac " Audrey McDonald said that at some matches Creighton would show up with his cartridges pointed down in his ammo box /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jim B.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts