My first moose was a nice one.

Beats the ones we had that were shot in bogs this year and had to be packed 1/4 mile to boat thru knee deep water😡 not fun!!

Thanks. I was really happy with that bull. It is a challenge to get to Newfoundland from Dallas but well worth it. The terrain is challenging; bogs with tamarack roots under the water to trip you up, hills between bogs and forest with water under the trees. Still a fantastic place!
All of us on LRH are happy for you. It's always great to do an adventure especially if you get to bring home some great meat. I know about the trip. I drove from Atlanta, GA to PA, then when we got to NF and drove 3/4 of the way around it. Hunted for 5 days and drove for 8!.

We got that thing stuck twice in the bog getting down to the moose. We had to get an Argo to haul it out.

Where I hunted, ATVs could not go. One foot off a gravel road and they were done. We covered a huge area that was predominantly bog and traveled exclusively in Aggos. Every hunter had a guide and was transported over land, bog and water in the Argo.

Surprisingly enough, they would manage to get a whole moose into the Argo along with the occupants and a ton of gear. There is nothing quite like an Argo for hunting in Newfoundland.

My outfitter said that all the "locals" have quads and must wait for the ground to freeze before they can effectively hunt from an ATV.

Where I hunted, ATVs could not go. One foot off a gravel road and they were done. We covered a huge area that was predominantly bog and traveled exclusively in Aggos. Every hunter had a guide and was transported over land, bog and water in the Argo.

Surprisingly enough, they would manage to get a whole moose into the Argo along with the occupants and a ton of gear. There is nothing quite like an Argo for hunting in Newfoundland.

My outfitter said that all the "locals" have quads and must wait for the ground to freeze before they can effectively hunt from an ATV.
My guide had a pickup that took us to the end of gravel and then the ATV over a really rough rock road and then we hiked. My tracker said we walked 11.7 miles over rough Newfoundland bogs and forests in 2 days. After I shot the moose the guide hiked back and brought the ATV pretty close. He got stuck a few times and had a heck of a time getting unstuck in the bogs. He had called for the argo when he got back to the ATV so we field dressed and quarted the moose while we waited. You are so right. Argos are the only way to go.

What rifle, scope, and load did you use?
The rifle is a Blaser R8 Professional Success set up with 300 Win Mag and the scope is a Swarovski dS Gen. ll 5-25x52 P. The setup weighed a lot for the hiking I was doing over rough terrain. Next year I think I'm going with a lighter setup.

I shot my first moose in Wyoming a few years ago. Congrats. That's was way better than mine. In fact, I think going to Canada may be the better option than how I did it. I am hoping I have one more moose hunt in my life.

Congrats on your Beautiful bull ,have a great friend that went there and had a dismal time,they'll never hunt there again ,hope that outfitter is out of the biz. Don't recall their name all three were skunked and heck for upset. Any way Happy for you ,and we have cedar swamps in Wis, but we drive them on foot ,once a cousin shot a medium buck while on a drive and I walked it out on my back ,yes four of us all in Orange plenty safe🥳,was in my prime then couldn't do it now ,lol to old ,cheers 👏👏👏🍀

Recent Posts