My 10 rd load development

A fairly good example. In no way does that mean you shouldn't test, re-test and confirm to exhaustion, the "suspicion" of a good load. That doesn't in mean, in any way, the simple process didn't reveal a great load. What you do with it is up to you.

I tip my hat. Not everybody will give a straight account of how things are. Personally, I love to fiddle with a good/great load to see if I can make it better. Every time I go to the range and focus on groups, that's just a day I don't focus on real-world shooting. Real world shooting deals with wind, unknown distances, weird set-ups, not wanting to be there, picking foxtails out of my socks, and oh... nobody shot back at me. That's a big plus.

Find a load and shoot. Then shoot some more. After that, more is better. Most of knowing what you can do is beating it into yourself, what you can't or shouldn't do.
I did do a ladder test after for seating depth and confirmed I had hit the best depth first try. .05" from the lands. Then I shot it half a mile and was extremely happy with my vertical spread so I called it good.

More folks need to understand that seating is the COARSE (biggest) adjustment to accuracy, and that with anything calibrated you adjust coarse before moving to fine adjustments. If you haven't seen seating as coarse then you haven't engaged in full seating testing.

Also, you can confirm or quickly lock in on a load with simple barrel changes. But this is not finding a load, or load development.
And it's all that's happening if this 10sht business is helping anyone..

If I shot through barrel after barrel after barrel in 6PPC, it would not take a lot of shots with each to determine if it's a keeper or tomato stake. This, because I already know ~95% of the component/load outcome right up front. Same with barrel after barrel in .308 or any other cartridge.
I've burned through a few barrels in 6.5wssm Imp, with scarcely a deviation from original load development. But I would not try to impress on anyone that they could do the same while beginning with a new gun, new cartridge, new components. No way

Last edited:
Interesting results. Not what I was expecting but not terrible either.
My first three shots were all over the place with Magneto speed. Aligned vertically but the ES was 27. I pulled off the magneto and continued shooting. Next 2 groups were only 4 shots each. Weather was against me. Had a stiff wind from left to right, thunderstorm on the horizon. Don't know what to think about the ES all over the place.1st pic, last shot I adjusted scope left.

IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg
FPS pic on the right was 2739, 2759 ,2743.

I just did this thing with a new unfired factory rifle (6.5 creed / Savage Longrange Hunter) which I have never loaded for. Had a box of Hornady 143 eldx on hand so that's what I chose along with some H-4350 and fed 205's, seated 20 thousandths jump. Found a node with a 7 fps spread so I picked the middle one. Got just under 1/4 moa at 100 yards and just over 1/2 moa at 200. Using a fixed 10 power scope so I might have done better at 200 otherwise, but maybe not. I'll try it again on a not so windy day and see how it does.

Interesting results. Not what I was expecting but not terrible either.
My first three shots were all over the place with Magneto speed. Aligned vertically but the ES was 27. I pulled off the magneto and continued shooting. Next 2 groups were only 4 shots each. Weather was against me. Had a stiff wind from left to right, thunderstorm on the horizon. Don't know what to think about the ES all over the place.1st pic, last shot I adjusted scope left.

IMG_2508.jpg
IMG_2509.jpg
IMG_2510.jpg
FPS pic on the right was 2739, 2759 ,2743.
3 shots really isn't enough to measure your es. 10 at least. But your sd looks close based on two, perhap reloading practice could be improved to tighten up the velocity.
I would perform seating tests now

3 shots really isn't enough to measure your es. 10 at least.
Agreed. Maybe I should have continued. Felt like I was ****ing in the wind.
I would perform seating tests now
I'll do this next to see if things improve.
As far as reloading practice. Probably wouldn't hurt. But I am bumping shoulders .002 neck tension is .002 also. Trimming brass and seating to the ogive. This is the 4th firing on this brass. Annealeez on the way.

I do run a modified latter with great success. I generally do not chase a load once solid sub moa is found. I will also say that I don't think I can find this kind of success with other brands of bullets. The repeated success with our modified latter with rifle after rifle bone stock of the shelf to full customs, points to the fact that it is not lucky. If I had one here and there that gave me trouble, I would not say what I am saying.

We joke all the time that there is little point in building $6000 custom rifles when we get very close to the same performance from of the shelf factory rifles. Our success rate is 100% other than rifles that have been found to have a mechanical problem.

I have never loaded a bullet so easy to find a good load as our Hammer Bullets. I don't know of anyone that has shot them that disagrees. I'm sure there is someone but we have not heard of them.

Steve

IMG_20180723_154050125.jpg

I uploaded an image of my 100 yd. Seating Depth Test on page 2 #16 from last week. Today, I moved out to 400 yds with same loads to be sure the .035 jump would hold up.

It's hot and windy in West Texas, so I shot .010 & .035 jump as my first two
3 shot groups, as they showed the best @ 100. At 400, the .035" off shot group won again @ < 1/4 moa. I'm sure I'll have to rework the charge weight for hunting weather to get back in the node the ladders showed.

Hate to be that guy. It's obvious .035 shoots amazing. But a little throat erosion and your groups open way up. Ten off isn't as good but still awesome. Seems like there might be more wiggle room there. I ran .035 off in my rifle with 215 Berger and it was a small window. .033-.037. I would research where those groups start and where it ends and check your lands every time you clean.

Hate to be that guy. It's obvious .035 shoots amazing. But a little throat erosion and your groups open way up. Ten off isn't as good but still awesome. Seems like there might be more wiggle room there. I ran .035 off in my rifle with 215 Berger and it was a small window. .033-.037. I would research where those groups start and where it ends and check your lands every time you clean.
You are correct. That's why I shot .010 and .035 when conditions were more favorable. I was thinking the same as you. I do plan on working both, in & out, to find the spread. I keep good data on land movements. These are 215 Bergers in 300 wm @ 2965. One thing I know for sure, I'm well past 10 rounds.

Agreed. Maybe I should have continued. Felt like I was ****ing in the wind.
I'll do this next to see if things improve.
As far as reloading practice. Probably wouldn't hurt. But I am bumping shoulders .002 neck tension is .002 also. Trimming brass and seating to the ogive. This is the 4th firing on this brass. Annealeez on the way.
I wouldn't worry about ur es. Perform some seating depth tests and depending on brass, look into a primer pocket leveller, I use a Sinclair. And a flash hole uniformed. I use a k&m. Find the best seating depth, fully prep ur brass and shoot it at long range. If you have minimal vertical stringing ur es if fine.

Was able to shoot yesterday and another windy day. @150yds and shot 2 3 round groups and got both about 5/8 inch. This was certainly much more than 10 rds but I think a viable way to start anyway. I'll play some more with seating but for the most part I'm satisfied with my factory rifle shooting like this. Appreciate everyone's input.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.