Mulie or Elk hunt/outfitter

Recon$$

I have a buddy who inquired with me about a good mulie/elk outfitter. Leaning towards mulie. Money is not really a concern, this is a 40th birthday present, but a 75 year old father wants to go with.

Any suggestions out there. I think we're looking at more of a gentlemen hunt. I suggested Chama in NM.

What else is out there that the peanut gallery would suggest? There's no particular state, just looking for a good experience,scenery, and the hunter wants to use a shiloh sharps 1874 (quigley down under). Not looking at building points to obtain the hunt. Thanks in advance to any replies.

Maybe look at the outfitters in Colorado that do ranching for wildlife. Landowner receives tags from the state and then sell's them to a outfitter that leases the property. No draw or collecting points.
They do antelope, deer and elk. I've been out numerous times and always successful.
The elk hunts are not trophy oriented.
I would definitely recommend talking with any outfitters about the physicality of the hunt, especially with a 75 YO that isn't used to elevation. It's usually not a leisurely walk in the park.

If he is just looking for Muley ,look at Sizzling S outfitter in Jordon, MT
They hunt down by Brodes .
Have big muley's up top and huge Whitetails in the river bottom.
And all you need is a Montana general license.
Too late for this year( have to apply for license in March)

I also recommend a NM landowner tag through a reputable outfitter. I have one in mind that I hunt with every year if interested.
How big of a bull is normal?
I looked at one ,but they were hunting 300 class bulls.
I can shoot them in Montana without spending $12,000

I have a buddy who inquired with me about a good mulie/elk outfitter. Leaning towards mulie. Money is not really a concern, this is a 40th birthday present, but a 75 year old father wants to go with.

Any suggestions out there. I think we're looking at more of a gentlemen hunt. I suggested Chama in NM.

What else is out there that the peanut gallery would suggest? There's no particular state, just looking for a good experience,scenery, and the hunter wants to use a shiloh sharps 1874 (quigley down under). Not looking at building points to obtain the hunt. Thanks in advance to any replies.
Suggest speaking with Tri State Outfitters, Raton, NM. First class group.

I took my dad on a combined elk and mule deer hunt last year to New Mexico. He's 74 and was recently getting over bypass surgery so I had to be a gentleman's hunt. I ultimately decided on Wheaton Creek. The lodge and scenery were very nice. You can hunt however you want there. It's primarily UTV based. Dad didn't get an elk but he did get a mule deer. I was lucky enough that I tagged out for both. We had a great time.

How big of a bull is normal?
I looked at one ,but they were hunting 300 class bulls.
I can shoot them in Montana without spending $12,000
Let's say it is possible to run into a 350 or bigger bull, which is possible. I ran into a 365ish last year and messed up big time. A few years ago I had a 380 just over the fence and "out of bounds" .so yeah, some big ones exist with those 300 too.

If looking at Chama, NM I would highly recommend "The Lodge at Chama". It is all inclusive, and first class in every way. If he is into fishing, trout fishing is also available there while not hunting. Visited there in 2010, and the 4 million dollar lodge was awe inspiring. If he wants to sleep in a tent and poop in a bucket behind a bush, this is NOT the place to go.

I've been to several hunting outfitters in the US and I can very highly recommend an outfitter I've hunted with 3 times in Buffalo, Wyoming for Muleys and Antelope. (Note that I would never go back to an outfitter if I had a bad experience.). They hunt elk as well, but I never did that with them. All three of my trips resulted in filled tags (both antelope and mule deer). It is beautiful country and a target rich environment. Can't tell you how many muleys I passed on on the first day of one of the hunts because the guide said ..."nope, too small"... and he was right! They lease land from landowners and get tags for the mule deer so you only need to apply for the antelope license. You buy the deer license straight up. The licenses are easy to purchase on-line. They will tell you which areas to apply for for the antelope, and I've never had a problem buying one. The hunts can be as easy or difficult as you want. They have good and very friendly guides. It's mostly 2 x 1 spot and stalk hunting. They were always great hosts, had very good food and good accommodations. They typically have a table at the Sportsmans show in Harrisburg, PA every year and book up fast. Check them out! Wayne and Holly Jones own Southfork Mountain Lodge. https://www.lodgesofthebighorns.com/south-fork-mountain-lodge-wyoming.php

Tell them Karey sent you!

Maybe look at the outfitters in Colorado that do ranching for wildlife. Landowner receives tags from the state and then sell's them to a outfitter that leases the property. No draw or collecting points.
They do antelope, deer and elk. I've been out numerous times and always successful.
The elk hunts are not trophy oriented.
I would definitely recommend talking with any outfitters about the physicality of the hunt, especially with a 75 YO that isn't used to elevation. It's usually not a leisurely walk in the park.
I can speak highly of the ranching for wildlife program. I bagged 2 very nice bulls on two hunts in the Northwest area of Colorado near Craig. Outfitters were from Meeker.
Had these hunts after the worst Montana guided hunt ever. When asked how it was my answer is "took my gun for a walk every day and saw nothing".

Recent Posts