most memorable hunt?

During one of my bear bow hunts in MN near Cotton. I killed a big cinnamon boar trouble bear at the distance of just a few feet. He intended to occupy the same spot I was standing on. He is now a rug and was poor table fare.

I was on another archery hunt when for two days, I saw the bear chase people out of a berry patch.

I assembled my old double barrel 12GA and went in the brush and dang near bumped into him.

I had only one slug so I cut a shotshell into a cut load and loaded the shotgun with a slug and the cut load. Due to the sudden charge at close quarters, all I had time to do was swing and shoot. When I broke open the gun, I discovered I shot the bear in the neck with the cut load. The shot blew up three neck bones and severed the spinal column. The shot did not go completely through to the other side of his neck.

Wow. That’s a tough one. I can’t pin one down. I have hunted every continent except Asia (yeah, I know, Antarctica too).

Your first African safari is always a favorite. Shot a Leopard on the first day (or day 15 of the previous hunters 14-day safari … semantics).

Brown Bear in Romania was a fun hunt. Shot the biggest Bear that outfitter had ever taken.

Every big hunt holds great memories and usually some epic failures. Successful or not, they are all special.

While I've not hunted outside the CONUS! I've hunted 13 states. The most memorable would be a month long trip in 1981 to hunt prong horn in Wy. Then pack into the West Elk Wilderness for two weeks for elk, stay and hunt the 1st rifle mule deer near Paionia Colo. I'd gotten married in June that year, the 2nd of Oct I'm off for a month long hunt.She was still happy to see me when I returned. 43 years later, she's still mostly still happy with me. This was way before cell phones, so it went weeks without a word between us.

I got this far when I saw you had posted, I was definitely hoping to hear your favorite.

I have been so darn busy that I haven't had the time to even read much of the forums let alone write a decent post. I did see this post originally but I've hesitated because I doubt that I can recall just one that might stand out. So I'll relate a couple.

Not long range hunting but the first pheasant hunt in which I was actually allowed to carry a loaded 20 ga. single shot shotgun.

We had a large family, 9 uncles and the two girls, all with families and a couple of dear friends, of course. All were farmers at the time so there was plenty of acreage available to hunt without crowding. This was way before planting right up the roadside and there were lots of birds. The hunt was always held on Thanksgiving morning so that the birds could be used to help feed this burgeoning family. My anticipation was nearly uncontained, the excitement nearly uncontrollable. Up until this hunt, I was held in reserve as a flusher and retriever which was fine with me since I was allowed to be in the hunting party. This time in particular though, I was given a single shot with a shortened stock courtesy of one of my older cousins. One shell, the shotgun carried open AND they let me walk in the middle of the line with strict rules about how far I could swing to shoot.

Long to short... one silly rooster flushed right in front of me. I even got to carry it back to the truck and into the kitchen to show my Mother. Everyone limited out so we had plenty of birds to grace the table for our Thankful meal. Quite a few went into the freezer for a later repast since we also had 3 turkeys from my Grandfather's farm. Farmers in this family never went without food! The pies, cakes and fruit cobblers were unsurpassed along with the homemade bread and rolls, salads and veggies from the gardens put up in Ball jars.

Hunting moose up in Canada with my two best buddies. On horseback. This was an incredible week, with one huge moose harvested by one of my buddies. The mount would not fit in our somewhat smallish cabin, far too big, so we put it into our taxidermist's cold storage while we had a new extension added to the cabin with a much higher ceiling. My other friend and I made significant contributions with Elk and whitetail deer. Actually, killing sharp-tail grouse with sticks was real hoot! They had not been hunted for a long time so they showed no fear. What a wonderful roast dinner! The guide was also a good cook although the 3 of us were accomplished well enough.

The reality is that every hunt I've been on, as pointed out above, has been memorable!

:)

The hunting culture is a family culture. The memory of growing up with family members and friends through hunting is something to be cherished. Today finding a friend who values that culture is worth more than gold. I'm lucky enough to have friends with large extended family and friends who still have those values and be part of it.

Recent Posts