Mossberg 44 US 22 long rifle

flyin lizard

Can any one give me info on this weapon, what type of 22 ammo ex. sub-sonis, stingers standard velocity or what ever.
The gun is rather heavy ,has about a 24 inch barrel. Mossberg 44US 22 long rifle is stamped on it and its a bolt action.
Paul

Last edited:
The 44us is the civilian version of the Model 44 series rifles that Mossberg produced prior to, and during WWII as a military marksmanship training rifle. I own a 44us(d) that my Great Grandfather bought new in 1946. This is the rifle that my father and I both learned to shoot with. Parts for the 44 series are getting hard to find, bit Havlin Sales in Festus, MO has a pretty good selection. www.havlinsales.com.

I'm in the process of giving my rifle an overhaul (about the 5th in it's 60 year lifetime). I've re-blued it, re-finished the stock and am anxiously awaiting the arrival on my new magazine and scope mount from Havlin Sales. When I get this beauty out on the range again, I plan on showing my buddies with thier 10-22's what REAL .22 cal accuracy is all about. You just can't go wrong with a 26" bull barrel and a bolt action in an 8-1/2 lb rife.

I hope you enjoy your 44 as much as I do mine.

i also have an old mosberg .22 my understanding is that the 42 series were the ww2 training rifles i have a 42m model i got it from my stepdad, the gun is in beautifull condition it even has the peep sights still on it, the only thing missing is the front sling clip.

Regarding ammo, the rifle will shoot any .22 L/R you want to. It can also shoot longs, shorts, CB's, subsonic, etc. Some recommend only long rifle ammo. The chamber is very long for the shorter cartridges and may lose accuracy. I should emphasize "may", because I have seen several old heavy military type .22 L/R's that would shoot lights out with nearly anything. In general though, the hyper velocity ammo doesn't seem to shoot as well as the standard velocity stuff. Try every kind of ammo you can find. Something will shoot great. Probably several kinds.

Some of the things I like about the old military style .22 rifles is that they have quality, cut-rifled barrels. I also like the size, weight, dependability, and no frills appearance. I have had several over the years that were over 60 years old. Not one ever needed any kind of repair even though many thousands of rounds had been fired in them.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.