Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle

cross

I'm looking at getting a new .300 Winchester sometime within the next year and have been eyeballing a new Sendero SF II. I happened to discover an advertisement for Remington's new Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle and was wondering if anyone had any experience/educated opinions about the rifle, TriNyte coating, or the B&C stock? If it doesn't shoot well can I send it off and have it accurized without destroying the TriNyte? Do you think Remington put any extra effort into this rifle or did they just crank it out like all of the others (sometimes precision rifle, sometimes jack handle)? Thanks

I would go with the Sendero-II (I did, I bought one!!)

The LE rifles from Rem are not the the premium of the line - they look cool, but remember that 200 yards is a loooooong shot for LE.

I bought my Sendero-II on the recommendation of three of my friends who are using them for 1,000 yd "F" class match rifles, "out of the box".

The B&C stock is nothing to brag about.

The Sendero-II stock is an H-S Precision with an Aluminum foundation/bedding block. It is one of the best stocks around.

My Sendero-II is the best shooting, large calibre, factory rifle I have ever had.

Just my dime's worth.

I have an XCR and I only paid 1150 for it here in CANADA. I'ts full length aluminum bedded the same as the Sendero, I like the B&C myself.The barrels are the same dia. The fluting job is better on the tactical, I compared both rifles.If it didn't shoot I don't think Remington would put it in their "Tactical" line up and call it a "long range" if they did wouldn't that be false advertising??? Just my opinion for what it's worth.Have a good day.

I got an XCR Tactical 308 for Christmas this year. I have not shot it yet, but it is a very nice rifle. The finish is very smooth and it also has a 40x trigger. The action is the smoothest factory 700 action I have ever seen. It is overall one of the nicest feeling guns I have ever owned. I am not an expert, but I cannot see Remington building a tactical rifle to any less standard than any other rifle.

"The LE rifles from Rem are not the the premium of the line - they look cool, but remember that 200 yards is a loooooong shot for LE."

why would you make a statement like that? Do you honestly think that they would market a rifle as being tactical or life saving that was not at the top of their food chain? just because 99% of police snipers will never make a shot on a call out past 100 yds let alone 200yds does not meen that their weapon should be any less accurate especialy when their shot window may only be seconds long and few inches wide and sombodys life is on the line why would you want anything less than the best for this?

Anyway , from what I was told the new XCR tactical rifles are ment to be every bit as accurate as their other precision rifles and just a step below their 40x's out of the custom shop and that many will shoot right with custom tactical rifles.
Remington went with B&C stocks for a little while rather than the more costly HS stocks , from what I understand the differance was that the B&C stocks were not filled at first then not filled with a dense enough foam later and the cost was not a big enough factor.

The B&C Medalist stoks are just as capible as any HS stock made.

The Sendero is not a better rifle!!! The finish on the Sendro is rough and looks like low quality metal, and it does not have the 40X trigger, to say the least.

I own a .308 in the XCR Tactical. It shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards, out of the freaking box with 168 A-max and 168 Berger. Show me a Sendero can do better for the money.

I shot my first buck this year, one shot, using 168 A-max at 340 yards, DOTS. Can a Sendero do any better?

For the money, you can't better the XCR Tactical.

The XCR tacticals are very nice rifles the stock is as nice as the HS stock on the police and Sendero models. The bonus is this has the 40x trigger which is much smoother, stainless, it is lighter and a great coating.

I have had all of them (700p, sendero, sendero II and 5r) and I prefer the XCR now over all of them.

Wow,I have an 300 wm sendero and the xcr and i can say that i wish that i never bought the xcr its it's far from the sendero.the sendero i have will shoot 1/2 in or less WITH FACTORY ammo the xcr dont come close1 1/2in at best the sfII is a nicer platform and shooter for me not sayin that they are all bad but shoot some dont i would go with the senderosfII just my two cents

My experience with Remington is that it is luck of the draw. I have had senderos, police, and 40x. My experince is 1/2 or better you are pretty lucky or did like I do and go through sevearl rifles before you find one that shoots well. Also doing a few little tweaks on rifles helps. The average is 3/4" I have found across the board. But the XCR's have been about the same as the Senderos from what I have seen. The 40x is the only one that is going to be accurate out the box with a promised accuracy. If it was shooting over 1" I would send it back to Remington with the load I was shooting and ask them to fix it. I have a friend who did this his 700 police was shooting 2" groups when he got it back it was under 1/2 constantly. I have a Ruger SR556 that was shooting terrible over 1' patterns. I sent it back to Ruger and when I got it back it was a 1 hole rifle. I will not get rid of it. With all production guns it is usually luck of the draw and the price you pay.

Hey Im new here. I had the same ? Which is better a Sendaro SFII or XCR TLR. From what ive heard they're both good rifles, now, in all of your opinions do you think it would be better to try and get the "luck of the draw" of a sendaro or XCR or just go right to a custom built rifle??? I know a custom is more $$$ but is it worth it??

The XCR does look like a really nice rifle. I'm putting together my first long range set-up (primarily for elk) and have some questions. I have a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14x50 scope. That part is handled. I'm working on the rest. I really want to get a Remington 700.

Would the stock and barrel on this XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle be heavy enough to make shooting in the 300WM caliber comfortable? That's designed to be a lightweight stock, correct?

I like all the things that I have read about the 300 Win Mag, 300WSM and the 7mm RM. It's down to one of these three. And I have a slight concern about the recoil. I shot my friend's 300WUM with a big muzzle break on it and it sure had a kick. I'm not going to go with an Ultra Mag and at the same time I would like to avoid a muzzle break, for the sake of my friend's ear drums.

I am wondering how loud something like this Quiet Brake from Accuracy Systems would be:
clip_image004-3.gif

Would it still be significantly louder for the people around me than no brake at all?

I'm not attached to a barrel, nor do I want to put a lot of money into one, but I do like the idea of the different variations of stainless steel barrels offered by Remington (either the Black TriNyte® Corrosion Control System or the bead blasted 416 stainless steel). It would be cost-effective and simple to keep the barrel that came with the gun on there.

Should I go with something more basic like a MODEL 700 SPS STAINLESS and upgrade to a new stock with a Full Length Aluminum Bedding Block? I do like the reviews and the price of the Bell & Carlson Medalist series. If I get a lightweight stock (like under 3 lbs.) is that going to make my rifle too light for the magnum calibers? I want something that will be able to handle the recoil well, so my shoulder thanks me. I will be hiking on foot and don't want it to be too heavy, although I'm willing to pack the extra weight if it means that I will have a rifle I trust completely.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The XCR does look like a really nice rifle. I'm putting together my first long range set-up (primarily for elk) and have some questions. I have a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14x50 scope. That part is handled. I'm working on the rest. I really want to get a Remington 700.

Would the stock and barrel on this XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle be heavy enough to make shooting in the 300WM caliber comfortable? That's designed to be a lightweight stock, correct?

I like all the things that I have read about the 300 Win Mag, 300WSM and the 7mm RM. It's down to one of these three. And I have a slight concern about the recoil. I shot my friend's 300WUM with a big muzzle break on it and it sure had a kick. I'm not going to go with an Ultra Mag and at the same time I would like to avoid a muzzle break, for the sake of my friend's ear drums.

I am wondering how loud something like this Quiet Brake from Accuracy Systems would be:
clip_image004-3.gif

Would it still be significantly louder for the people around me than no brake at all?

I'm not attached to a barrel, nor do I want to put a lot of money into one, but I do like the idea of the different variations of stainless steel barrels offered by Remington (either the Black TriNyte® Corrosion Control System or the bead blasted 416 stainless steel). It would be cost-effective and simple to keep the barrel that came with the gun on there.

Should I go with something more basic like a MODEL 700 SPS STAINLESS and upgrade to a new stock with a Full Length Aluminum Bedding Block? I do like the reviews and the price of the Bell & Carlson Medalist series. If I get a lightweight stock (like under 3 lbs.) is that going to make my rifle too light for the magnum calibers? I want something that will be able to handle the recoil well, so my shoulder thanks me. I will be hiking on foot and don't want it to be too heavy, although I'm willing to pack the extra weight if it means that I will have a rifle I trust completely.

Thanks for the help.

Good questions! I'll try to get them all:

Of the calibers you mentioned, I would recommend going with a .300 mag. as a minimum for elk. With a perfect shot a smaller cartridge is enough, but perfect shots do not always happen & ELK CAN BE BIG! Whether WSM (my preference), Win, or Weatherby, the variety is mostly driven by what's available in the rifle you get.

Shooting a magnum, of any variety, is no fun when practicing. Get a LeadSled and load it up with at least 50 pounds of lead to tame the felt recoil. This makes bench shooting much more comfortable. When elk hunting, the felt recoil from a .300 mag is not noticeable. Adrenaline will take care of that problem.

As you might have noticed, I suggest you DO NOT get a muzzle brake, unless you get the Savage variety that you can turn off for hunting. If you hunt with a muzzle brake, you, and everyone near you, need to wear hearing protection. If you are wearing hearing protection it's hard to be quiet when walking because you can't hear how much noise you are making.

I love the corrosion protection on the XCR II rifles. They don't rust. I've heard some of them can shoot very well, but the last one I shot wouldn't hold a 3" group (with any ammunition we tried) at 100 yards. (This was not the Tactical Long Range Rifle.) The XCR Tactical Long Range Rifle & the Sendero II should be plenty accurate but also a bit HEAVY at 8.5 pounds if you are going to be hiking up & down mountains all day (also the Long Range Tactical rifle only comes in one of the calibers you are looking at: .300 Win mag). (If I were to choose a Sendero II for long-range Elk, I would pick the .300 RUM because of the added down-range power.)

All Rem 700 series rifles can be made to shot well, but some don't start out that way. If you go with a Remington 700, you may be visiting a gunsmith before it's accurate enough for long-range elk hunting. Then again, you didn't say what you consider "long range" for elk hunting. For many this is anything over 300 yards while for others it's a 1,000+ yard shot. What's "long range" for you will determine how accurate your rifle needs to be.

If you want an out of the box rifle that is accurate, I strongly suggest you look at the new Savage and Tikka rifles. Both these come in stainless with synthetic stocks for hunting in any weather & both beat Remington's (standard version Model 700) reputation for out-of-the-box accuracy. The Savage Accutrigger & Accustock rifles are hard to beat for shootability and both cost less than what you are considering. The negative to both these is the metal is too bright but that can be fixed by having it coated or simply painting the barrel & action.

Your wallet, your experience, where/how you are hunting, and how far you plan on shooting will tell you if a custom or semi-custom makes sense for you but I would never buy a new rifle planning on throwing away the factory barrel. Barrels get replaced when shot out or when they can't be made to shoot well.

Hope this helped!

Thanks, this was very helpful. I emailed the guy about the linear compensators, which is not actually a break. He says they can reduce recoil up to 20% and will not make the rifle any louder. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

I looked into the new Savage Arms Weather Warrior and they sounds really great. Yes, out-of-the-box that's it comes with quite the list of things that I would have to get custom done to a Remington 700 (or similar) rifle. That bedding system in the stock looks amazing! And the trigger is pretty cool too. My wallet will thank me, for sure.

With that rifle I may end of just getting the barrel blasted to take the shine down. If the floor plate and the trigger cover are stainless, which I assume, they appear to be blasted already. They are not as shiny as the barrel.

I would like to have the barrel and the action be stainless for the weather and black for the look and possibly the camouflage factor. I just don't know if there's a good way to do it. Duracoat will eventually chip or wear off, although I'm sure it looks nice for a while. I also looked into the Salt-Bath Nitriding process (MMI-Trutec offers this). That's an option. I did read that it can lessen the corrosion resistance of the stainless, although I only saw one source that said that. It seem that Remington's coating utilizes this type of process with their Black TriNyte® PVD coating. But if the temperature of the chemical solution is too high it can damage or weaken the parts. It most likely wouldn't affect the barrel but maybe the action if I got that done. I don't know the specs on the stainless steel used by Savage in their barrel or their action.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the 300 WSM caliber. I'm getting pretty excited about it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.