model 7 receiver

No because its already been classified as a rifle receiver you would have to go with an xp 100 a custom action or one of the savage actions and build it up

If you were to order a new, never assembled action direct from Remington you could build a pistol out of it. To use a Savage action it must be the same thing, a new, undesignated action. When it's transferred to you on the federal transfer form it will be sold as an action, not a rifle or pistol. It's the same thing that's done to build AR style pistols.

There are some tricks to building a SP which will technically still meet the legal requirements of a rifle, allowing you to use a rifle action for the build. That's up to you to figure out though.

As far as a stock, any custom stock maker will be able to inlet for any action you want.

Andrew

IF the barrel is longer than 16" AND the overall length of the weapon is 26" or more the BATF classifies it as a "Short Stocked Rifle" if it is a shotgun the barrel must over 18".

If you use a "rifle" receiver, then the barrel MUST be greater than 16" and the assembled weapon MUST be greater than 26", if you intend to put a muzzle brake on it, that is a gray area, I would NOT use the muzzle brake in the above dimensions, as it is removable.

Dave

Firearms - Guides - Identification of Firearms | ATF

Sell the reciever. Currently on Gunbroker, an XP-100R in 260 Rem. is listed. Buy it. That is the "same" reciever in a pistol. Stock and trigger included. Easy.

To answer cousinadkins' question. The original XP100 single shot actions had the action screws in different locations than the 600-660 series, and also different than the later XP100R and RX100 models, which are the same/similar to M7. The rear tang is also shorter on the XP100, 600-660 series,than on the XR_RX_M7 series.
I know this since I built up a rifle using a 660 Mohawk action and a Model 7 stock w/bottom metal and trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts