Minus one more Idaho wolf.................

mtnwrunner

Thought I'd share this with the group. Once again, all those long range practice sessions and to shoot at................90 yards.
My buddy and I were in an area where fresh wolf tracks had been seen plus they had been heard howling.
So, instead of watching NFL on sunday morning, we headed up to look for the critters.
I went one way and my buddy went the other way and the plan was for me to head up a canyon, hit the headwall and work back down the ridge towards him. He found some really fresh sign and decided to just follow the tracks and see what happened.
As soon as he crested the ridge, low and behold, the wolves were bedded down in the open sagebrush. At 90 yards. They stood up, he picked the closest and biggest and shot. 308 with 150 grain ballistic tips.
Wolf was a collared female weighing in at 83 pounds although we thought she was bigger than that. No more easy elk for her......................

Randy

Attachments

• wolf (6).jpg
    wolf (6).jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 146
  • wolf (9).jpg
    wolf (9).jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 138
Man, now that's a trophy!

Love that beautiful HD country, reminds me of some of my favorite chukar hunting grounds around Hell's Canyon and Brownlee.

Congrats! gun)

Fantastic job! Killing the females is the best way to thin the population.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.