Midsize SUV Experience?

Jaging547

Hope I'm not missing much in my searches here…Wife is looking into getting a midsize suv. I've never looked into them so don't know the motors or transmissions or common issues. She is not picky when it comes to looks or bells and whistles. She wants something that will start, go A to B, and hopefully be headache free. She really likes Chevy Traverse and I keep seeing the Kia Telluride pop up when I'm searching for options. But she is open to anything. Hoping someone has some positive experience with a midsize that they would recommend taking a look at or what to shy away from! We live in eastern MT so going to multiple lots to check out vehicles isn't a quick afternoon trip for the most part.

Things she needs/wants:
3rd row seating
Reliability
Heated seats
New-ish/low miles

Stupid expensive but good
Toyota 4 runner

Decent but small
Nissian pathfinder

In my opinion most of the 3rd mid-size are not good --room sucks. The decent 3rd are expeditions or Tahoes.As daily drivers I had to turn in my man card--I have a minivan and ridgeline--both Hondas--and both are excellent.

My wife has a Lexus Gx it is super nice--but they all have gone up in price to crazy town. We always had an expedition but I refuse to pay 75-80k for a SUV

Last edited:
Stupid expensive but good
Toyota 4 runner

Decent but small
Nissian pathfinder

In my opinion most of the 3rd mid-size are not good --room sucks. The decent 3rd are expeditions or Tahoes.As daily drivers I had to turn in my man card--I have a minivan and ridgeline--both Hondas--and both are excellent.

My wife has a Lexus Gx it is super nice--but they all have gone up in price to crazy town. We always had an expedition but I refuse to pay 75-80k for a SUV
Ha! My wife allocated a Landcruiser.
It's pretty close to $75k as a SUV though with the premium package. I think it's 73k + after all the bs. I know the GX 550 and the LC were pretty much overlapped in price probably because they are essentially the same vehicle.

Honda pilot. Replace timing belt every 100k and should keep rolling for a long time. 3rd seat is usable.

The Toyota highlander 3rd seat is useless.

The chevy traverse, gmc terrain type vehicles have been trouble.

Tahoe and Yukon full size have been good.

The Traverse is a bus but definitely has all the seating and handles well for its size. My dad drove a Honda Pilot for forever and it was great. Super reliable, no hassles, but the third row was a little tight. If you want a mid sized SUV then the third row will always be a "just in case" type of set up versus a full sized. I feel like Honda has dropped off a bit in the last few years but that car just kept going.

I bought the wife a 2021 Expedition after covid . It took forever to find one , no dealerships were trading with one another . Drove four hours to pick it up in Chicago . Love the vehicle lots of power . Parents just picked up a 24 Explorer ,nice but not near the room . They don't drive far but with my two dogs I love the larger vehicle .

My daughter just bought a Mazda. Maybe one smaller in their product line no third seat... The car is solid has every bell and do da. Sticker was $32,000 and it is all wheel drive. Friend has the subaru with 3 seats. "Ascent"? Price is breathtaking!! 4 or five nissans in the clan but that Mazda is looking like a serious contender...

Hope I'm not missing much in my searches here…Wife is looking into getting a midsize suv. I've never looked into them so don't know the motors or transmissions or common issues. She is not picky when it comes to looks or bells and whistles. She wants something that will start, go A to B, and hopefully be headache free. She really likes Chevy Traverse and I keep seeing the Kia Telluride pop up when I'm searching for options. But she is open to anything. Hoping someone has some positive experience with a midsize that they would recommend taking a look at or what to shy away from! We live in eastern MT so going to multiple lots to check out vehicles isn't a quick afternoon trip for the most part.

Things she needs/wants:
3rd row seating
Reliability
Heated seats
New-ish/low miles
Can't go wrong with a Subaru Outback or Tribeca!!!!! We had several and also had a Nissan PATHFINDER!!
Currently have a KIA Sportage (same frame as the Telluride) but wanted the Telluride because it is a little bigger. They were out of stock of Outback or Tribeca and Telluride when our Pathfinder was totaled by hit and run and needed a vehicle ASAP so could not wait. Our first pick was the Tribeca. All wheel Drive is a very good option.
The Kia Sportage Dash is like a whole touch computer screen. Jill likes it and KIA has a good warranty. Made here in GA.
Most of these vehicles have way too much computer options to setup with your smart phones and they also drive themselves. Sensors everywhere. If you get in an accident big $$$$ to replace the sensors and calibration.
The alarms and self-steering drives me nuts.

If you don't already have Heated Seats and like them you might not use them in the future. Our Kia has Heated Seats with (3) levels. Even on #1 gets too hot for me.

Wifey has a new Equinox & loves it. Just enough size for shopping & seating is comfortable front & back, I haven't been allowed behind the wheel yet (I hate riding shotgun)but seems to handle great & has good pickup & mileage,

I know it was a long time ago but my grandfather was a sailor in world war 2 and my grandmother was the secretary for the US Coast Guard Admiral when they met as he was shipping out . No foreign vehicles in my driveway . Well the KTM is from Austria so !

Recent Posts