Mid Length Action

Gstew1930

I'm fixing to build a 300 Wsm on a mid length action with a quick barrel change system. Here's my question. if i want to eventually add a .308 or 6.5x47 barrel, maybe even a 223 AI barrel. is it going to be possible to get it to feed properly? MDT makes 2 XM magazines, 1 magnum & one 10 round magazine for 6.5 Swede or 6.5x284. is there a company that will make or modify magazines internal or external? Any help would be greatly appreciated

There is the Tikka switch lug system. It does require cutting 0.100 off the face of the action to fit the switch lug so you wouldn't be to use prefits (unless there is a place doing prefits for that switch lug system). But, all you'd have to do is get whatever bolts and mags you want for the cartridges you want to shoot. It seems like it's an extremely easy switch barrel system after you get set up for it. I've considered doing this to one of my tikkas.

Proof Research offers prefits in 223, 308 & 300 WSM with no modification needed to the action.

Offered in both stainless steel and carbon barrels.

You might check that out.

All you need is 3 magazines, 3 barrels & 3 bolts - you're off to the races.

Proof Research offers prefits in 223, 308 & 300 WSM with no modification needed to the action.

Offered in both stainless steel and carbon barrels.

You might check that out.

All you need is 3 magazines, 3 barrels & 3 bolts - you're off to the races.
Well i thought about going this route but i want the mid length for the 300wsm. The whole point of my build is for this caliber in a XM or a long action to shoot 205+ grain bullets. The rest is just an added bonus. West Texas Ordinance will be doing the build with their switch lug on a Caprock action.

I'm fixing to build a 300 Wsm on a mid length action with a quick barrel change system. Here's my question. if i want to eventually add a .308 or 6.5x47 barrel, maybe even a 223 AI barrel. is it going to be possible to get it to feed properly? MDT makes 2 XM magazines, 1 magnum & one 10 round magazine for 6.5 Swede or 6.5x284. is there a company that will make or modify magazines internal or external? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ryan Pierce of Piercision rifles

I'm not being a smart *** here, I don't know much about tikka. I could run a 300 wsm to 3.340 then swap barrels & magazines to a 223? Is it a quick change system?

Can as long as you have the bolt that would go along with the 223 case size.

The action is medium length, and with factory mags you can reach 3.33-3.37ish col. Some aftermarket bottom metals and magazines will get you up to 3.4-3.5.

There are three bolt sizes but all the same length and can be swapped between actions. 223, 308, and magnum size.

If you get magnum Tikka action, you can get the two other bolt sizes and two other magazine sizes and use them all in that action.

In their factory form, they are not a quick change barrel system. You have to use a barrel vise and action wrench like other actions. That's why that switch lug system that WTO makes us so awesome. You can remove the barrel without removing the scope or taking the action out of the stock, in most cases.

Last edited:
Can as long as you have the bolt that would go along with the 223 case size.

The magazine is medium length, and with factory mags you can reach 3.33-3.37ish col. Some aftermarket bottom metals and magazines will get you up to 3.4-3.5.

There are three bolt sizes but all the same length and can be swapped between actions. 223, 308, and magnum size.

If you get magnum Tikka action, you can get the two other bolt sizes and two other magazine sizes and use them all in that action.

In their factory form, they are not a quick change barrel system. You have to use a barrel vise and action wrench like other actions. That's why that switch lug system that WTO makes us so awesome. You can remove the barrel without removing the scope or taking the action out of the stock, in most cases.
Got it! i really appreciate the help