media in flash hole

AGGRO

I always inspect flash holes after tumbling and about 1 in 10 cases will have a grain of media in the hole not completely but partially blocking it. Just wondering for those that don't inspect, what are the chances of a misfire? Does a primer have enough to blow that one grain out. I've always wondered.

I always inspect flash holes after tumbling and about 1 in 10 cases will have a grain of media in the hole not completely but partially blocking it. Just wondering for those that don't inspect, what are the chances of a misfire? Does a primer have enough to blow that one grain out. I've always wondered.
I check every single piece, I constantly get it clogged up with the media so I inspect every one

None, many tests have been done with blocked flash holes and the results showed not a single difference in start pressure or max pressure. I even tested this out of curiosity with both walnut media and corn cob.

Cheers.

It's been tested multiple times and never been found to change anything. If you're worried about it tumble before sizing to clean the brass and after loading for a few minutes to clean the lube off. No chance of getting media stuck in the flash hole that way.

I pop the media out as I'm scraping the pocket.
As MagnumManiac said it's probably gonna blow out, but it would be my luck that I'd have the 1 in a thousand that would soft seat the primer because of the crap in the flash hole and I'd just drive the primer to bottom when I drop the hammer instead of firing it. And of course I'd be hunting with that ammo.

It's been tested multiple times and never been found to change anything. If you're worried about it tumble before sizing to clean the brass and after loading for a few minutes to clean the lube off. No chance of getting media stuck in the flash hole that way.

So you tumble the loaded ammo?

I typically tumble twice. Once before sizing and decap to clean the brass, and then again after to clean the lube off before I load them.

I put all the brass into loading blocks primer pocket up and inspect and remove the media in the flash holes. Then prime and load.

So you tumble the loaded ammo?
It depends on what I'm loading. If it's a bottleneck cartridge loaded on a progressive press I do because it'll come off the press with lube on it. For anything else I don't because it either didn't get lubed or got tumbled after sizing.

You can keep doing what you're doing, but tumble after loading instead of between sizing and priming of you're worried about media in the flash hole. Any that gets in before sizing will get pushed out by the decapping pin, and it'll be sealed after loading so none will get in.