Mcmillian Stock Schooling

Left Hand Dave

I have a couple builds planned for the future so I have been looking at the McMillian stocks. The only McMillian stocks I have owned are for pistols. I looked on their website at the following stocks, Game Scout, Game Hunter, Game Warden, HTG. After doing some research I believe I am more confused now than when I started. The builds are going to be a 300 Rum and a 338 Rum both with 26" barrels. I am still looking at barrel contours so I can get the overall weight right but thinking Brux/Krieger #5 - Rem Varmint. Don't want too heavy but don't want to beat myself up too bad either. I am left handed so I am most likely going to order. When I look at all these stocks the Game Scout, Game Warden and Game hunter only seem to differ in forearm width a little and drop @ comb. Can you guys that have used these stocks give me any insight as far as things I should consider with these stocks, favorites among them and why you liked that stock better?

Thanks
Dave

I have a a game scout, a A-3 adj, a varmint and several of the "hunter"s". Not "mcmillan hunter"

Love the "hunter"s... with the varmint a close second. Just don't like the vertical grip (as on game scout and A3) for hunting....they are better for bench and competition shooting....but just not a comfortable stock for manipulating a rifle like one does in hunting scenarios.

The hunter is based on the sako as far as the grip and has monto carlo butt format. It has a forearm grip width of 1.975 and is available in left hand. The top of the butt area (cheek weld area) also angles downward the closer you get to the grip area....so with recoil your cheek doesn't force the stock downward

I believe the vertical grips are probably better for comp or bench type shooting. But all of my guns are built with hunting in mind.

It is just a preference for me. The grip fits my hand well and is easy for me to manipulate with one hand.

JL,
I see the drop is 3/4 and 5/8 is the cheek high enough for eye alignment with your scopes and what size objective is on your scope?
Also thanks for the information it is really appreciated.
Dave

Of the Mcmillians I have had the remington hunter, game scout, htg and game hunter. I really like the game hunter for my larger contour barrels, the drop is about right for me with a 50mm objective, the others not so much.

Call them and talk to them they are very good with customer service in my experience.

For the barrel contours you listed the Remington hunter is the most comfortable and versatile in different positions. It gives an ideal cheek weld IMO, too many guys seem to think you need bone contact with the comb of the stock. Hard cheek weld is a very good way to get fliers and is hard to master. A light touch to locate your eye is my preference. If you plan to only shoot prone, the A3 is my favorite or adj. warden.

Call them and talk to them they are very good with customer service in my experience.

I plan on this. Just looking for the type of advise you get from actual users like above. Some times you get the I did this and wish I hadn't because..... I find that very useful.

Dave

I have an HTG on my savage 220 slug gun. I put my 6.5 Creedmoor in the adjustable game warden. That has a proof carbon fiber sendero barrel and it fits well. I just ordered a adjustable comb A3. I really have been happy with them all, but for a hunting gun the adj. game warden would be my favorite.

300-Win-Mag-4.jpg
I have a 300WM in an A-5 sniper fill. It's heavy but I like it!

I have a couple builds planned for the future so I have been looking at the McMillian stocks. The only McMillian stocks I have owned are for pistols. I looked on their website at the following stocks, Game Scout, Game Hunter, Game Warden, HTG. After doing some research I believe I am more confused now than when I started. The builds are going to be a 300 Rum and a 338 Rum both with 26" barrels. I am still looking at barrel contours so I can get the overall weight right but thinking Brux/Krieger #5 - Rem Varmint. Don't want too heavy but don't want to beat myself up too bad either. I am left handed so I am most likely going to order. When I look at all these stocks the Game Scout, Game Warden and Game hunter only seem to differ in forearm width a little and drop @ comb. Can you guys that have used these stocks give me any insight as far as things I should consider with these stocks, favorites among them and why you liked that stock better?

Thanks
Dave
I don't know anything about a Game Hunter but I can provide a little info about the Game Scout and the Game Warden.

First, you need to decide what barrel contour you are going to use. If I going to use a #5 or smaller, I would want a Game Scout stock. If I was going to use a contour larger than a #5, I would use a Game Warden. An HTG has the exact same forend as the Game Warden.

Krieger will not make a SS 338 barrel in a #5 contour. The smallest they will make is a 5+. They will make smaller ones from CM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.