mark4 on 7wsm

calib

i am gonna be shooting a 7wsm for deer, bear maybe elk. i have been thinking about the mark 4 6-20x50tmr but i am just shooting a factory browning. i am kind of thinking i dont quite want to spend as much as the gun or more for a scope, but i like the reticle, and like the idea of being able to order a custom turret foor the scope when i know my load info. is there anything else compareable for less, or whats the suggestion.

Mk 4

I use a M4 4.5-14 by 50 M1 LR/T TMR on my Titanium 7mm08 out to 600yrds and a
M4 8.5-25 by 50 LR/T TMR on my 7mmsaum Sendero out to 1500yrds.

Both scopes are extremely clear, have accurate repeatable adjustments and I have had no problems with them to date. They work perfectly to make these rifles truly dual purpose.

Low light transmission is excellent enabling me to make good positive shots on the wily Sika deer we have here in New Zealand.

The Titanium

Titanium_7mm08_014.jpg

and the Sendero

pic4.jpg

Longest shot/kill with the Sendero so far is a hare at 1103yrds and a rabbit at 1151yrds. If there is no wind it can put 5 of hornadys wonderful 162g A-MAXES into a 73mm group at 800yrds. (sealevel elevation, 15 deg celcius.).

You will love the M4.

The Mark IV will run you someware in the ball park of 1500, the rifle will be around 8-900? If you have the money, go ahead and do it. You get what you pay for with glass. If you do plan on a custom long range rig in the future, then you could always switch the scope over to it. I know a guy who shoots F class with a factory Remington 308 heavy barrel and has the Mark IV with a BORS system on it (@ $3200 total optics package) - that seems a little excessive, but it is pretty nice :).

i have the vx3 long range 6.5-20x50 target varmint hunters i am thinking of either trying to use it on a 22-250 that i may get, or try to use it for a partial trade on the mark 4

calib77, the variable "MK4's" and the VX-III's are the same scopes.

It's good to fit the scope, as far as size/weight, to the rifle. An 8lb rifle balances and handles like crap with a big scope. A much better fit in a Leupold, would be something like the VX-II 3-9x40, or the VX-III 3.5-10x40 both with the addition turrets. Despite popular opinion here, you do not need a Hubble-telescope to shoot 847.3 yards....

I got to be honest I like my mark 4 better than the nightforce(let the flaming begin). It is amazingly clear and repeatable. I bought the mark 4 and my hunting partner bought the nightforce. He doesn't like how fine the reticule is. When it's low light it's hard to see the lines. Can't go wrong with either however.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.