Luepold Mark AR vs. Vortex Viper HS-T

Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I use the Vortex HSLR 4-16 and am satisfied with its performance. I really like the capped windage and use the reticle for wind. Have dialed this thing out to a 1000 yards a lot and it returns to zero perfectly.

I am thinking a about buying a new viper HS-LR 4-16 with the 1/2 moa clicks, this scope had capped windage, I am comparing this scope to the new HS-T with exposed windage in 1/4 clicks... how do you think the exposed windage turrets would be in real life hunting situations out west going in and out of scabberts and the possibility of accedently turning it? I like the 1/4 moa elevation clicks but worry about the windage being mistakenly turned.. i saw that you have shot these scopes and just was looking for some advice..? as im sure you do the same..im sitting here scratching my head contemplating buying a new toy i dont really need..lol

For a hunting scope the 1/2 MOA adjuster works just fine. I chose the HSLR FFP especially because of the capped windage and the XLR MOA reticle. If you are going to use the rifle horseback or do a lot of hiking hand carrying the rifle the exposed windage turret is a pain in the butt. While hand carrying the turret will poke you right in the wrist. Very annoying.

Now there are a few guys that are building scabbards designed for the rifles with turrets. But even with those the windage hanging out there is a pain and depending on which side of the horse it is slung it will be venerable to more than just losing the zero.

The only thing I don't like about the HS and the HS-T is the same way besides the above is the eye adjuster. There is no way to lock it in place and it will not stay where you put it. I finally got so frustrated with it moving I made a spacer that fits between the adjuster and the scope housing so now all I have to do is twist the adjuster tight against the spacer and its good. Got into the habit of doing it automatically. If someone jumps on the rifle they can remove the spacer if the reticle is not clear.

You won't make a mistake with either of these scopes for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts