Looking to book a hog hunt

Alibiiv

I have been volunteered to look for an outfitter for hunting hogs. I am new to hog hunting. I have read most of the first two or three pages on this forum, enough to get some idea about a hunt. But... I am new to this and I am quite certain there are a number of "ins and outs" that I have not read about in these few pages. We black bear hunt in Maine, so we are familiar with hunting, just not hog hunting. Our hunting equipment is set up for daytime hunting, thermal hunting is not quite in the picture as to date. Also I have read in other forums and articles where the hunting is more like wandering into the local zoo and picking out an animal to shoot in a fenced in area. This is quite not what we are looking for. We are in the Rhode Island area, a 6-8 hour drive would be ideal for us to find an outfitter. My questions are how do we locate a reputable outfitter, what ought we be looking for to book a hunt, the best times to book a hunt, what does a normal day of hog hunting look like, is there a ratio of hunter to guide that we ought to be asking about, approximately how much would/should a hog hunt cost for a hunt? I have seen some fairly steep prices on three day hunts, I just do not know if these are reasonable prices. Again we are totally new to this type of hunting with lots of unknowns, but we would like to try another kind of hunt. I am quite certain that I have come to the right place with all of my questions.Thanks for any replies/help, and for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

You are pretty far north for hogs. I know Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina have hogs, but I'm not sure about how much further north one can find them.

Hogs come out early in the morning and late in the evening. They will wander around during day if you go to a fenced in area to hunt, since the outfitters bait them to come out. You will rarely see wild hogs out during the daytime in the wild. I wasted several hundred hours of hunting before I figured that out. Go on fenced hunt if you want a guaranteed kill.

As far as cost goes, I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred per day per hunter.

Thermals and NV are a significant investment, so a normal scope at daylight and dusk will work.

Just a warning - hog hunting his HIGHLY addictive, so be prepared for many hunts to come if you start down this path!

You are pretty far north for hogs. I know Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina have hogs, but I'm not sure about how much further north one can find them.

Hogs come out early in the morning and late in the evening. They will wander around during day if you go to a fenced in area to hunt, since the outfitters bait them to come out. You will rarely see wild hogs out during the daytime in the wild. I wasted several hundred hours of hunting before I figured that out. Go on fenced hunt if you want a guaranteed kill.

As far as cost goes, I wouldn't pay more than a few hundred per day per hunter.

Thermals and NV are a significant investment, so a normal scope at daylight and dusk will work.

Just a warning - hog hunting his HIGHLY addictive, so be prepared for many hunts to come if you start down this path!
Maryland has hogs?

I've been on many outfitted hog hunts. I have hunted them in NC, SC, GA and TX. Despite what some advertise, they are "put & take" operations. Even down south where hogs are prevalent, you need to be careful about avoiding places that have large tracks of fenced in areas. Some don't even admit it until you get there.

Look for places that provide rifles, with thermal optics and ammo. There really is no need to buy all that expensive equipment to hunt on only a few occasions. I bought some nice Pulsar equipment but sold it at a loss, after the a few hunts.

I hunted at "Hog Assault" in Georgia. The guy had high-end rifles and thermals. You drove around in his van that had a thermal on the roof and we searched the fields on a laptop when you reached each potential hunting location. When we spotted hogs, we got out and stalked up closer before the firing began. It was literally a blast, and we had a great time even though we missed 90% of the running hogs. The only downside to the hunt was the expense. At the time we paid $500 per man/per day. There were 3 of us hunting. The 3-day hunt did not include food or lodging. We stayed in Albany Georgia in a hotel and drove to the guys home each evening. There was another outfitter nearby that had the same set-up.

If you are only going to try this once - fly to Texas and hunt with an outfitter that has everything that you need, ie: lodging, food, transportation and guns with thermals. This is what we did on our last trip and it was worth it. We shot a bucket load of hogs and missed even more. I never laughed so hard while watching guys miss their quarry. Pigs can take a lot of lead and still run off so you just never know how many you actually hit. All the hogs were left in the field which is fairly customary. We had a rental car and spent two additional days visiting relatives and doing a little sight-seeing.

Good luck on your future hog hunt. Night shooting at truly free-range hogs is a lot of fun. But ........ there are many scam operations out there IME.

Hog Assault.jpg

Last edited:
I've been on many outfitted hog hunts. I have hunted them in NC, SC, GA and TX. Despite what some advertise, they are "put & take" operations. Even down south where hogs are prevalent, you need to be careful about avoiding places that have large tracks of fenced in areas. Some don't even admit it until you get there.

Look for places that provide rifles, with thermal optics and ammo. There really is no need to buy all that expensive equipment to hunt on only a few occasions. I bought some nice Pulsar equipment but sold it at a loss, after the a few hunts.

I hunted at "Hog Assault" in Georgia. The guy had high-end rifles and thermals. You drove around in his van that had a thermal on the roof and we searched the fields on a laptop when you reached each potential hunting location. When we spotted hogs, we got out and stalked up closer before the firing began. It was literally a blast, and we had a great time even though we missed 90% of the running hogs. The only downside to the hunt was the expense. At the time we paid $500 per man/per day. There were 3 of us hunting. The 3-day hunt did not include food or lodging. We stayed in Albany Georgia in a hotel and drove to the guys home each evening. There was another outfitter nearby that had the same set-up.

If you are only going to try this once - fly to Texas and hunt with an outfitter that has everything that you need, ie: lodging, food, transportation and guns with thermals. This is what we did on our last trip and it was worth it. We shot a bucket load of hogs and missed even more. I never laughed so hard while watching guys miss their quarry. Pigs can take a lot of lead and still run off so you just never know how many you actually hit. All the hogs were left in the field which is fairly customary. We had a rental car and spent two additional days visiting relatives and doing a little sight-seeing.

Good luck on your future hog hunt. Night shooting at truly free-range hogs is a lot of fun. But ........ there are many scam operations out there IME.

View attachment 540787
Thank you for your reply, this has been very helpful. I posted because I do know there are a lot of scammers out there. We have met some of the scamming outfitters while black bear hunting. They let the hunter believe they are out hunting, only they are out sitting in the woods enjoying nature and unless a dumb, stray animal shows up that is all the hunt will be, "sitting in the woods thinking one is hunting!!"

Thank you for your reply, this has been very helpful. I posted because I do know there are a lot of scammers out there. We have met some of the scamming outfitters while black bear hunting. They let the hunter believe they are out hunting, only they are out sitting in the woods enjoying nature and unless a dumb, stray animal shows up that is all the hunt will be, "sitting in the woods thinking one is hunting!!"

Check your PM.

Recent Posts