Looking for pass through

Yes, this is THE issue with these bullets. They don't expand at as low of velocities vs the eldm/berger stuff. So I don't consider them "long range" bullets. But they do represent the extreme end of penetration.

There is no perfect bullet my man. Anyone who tells you diff is full of it. All have strengths and weaknesses. I like to dual load. TTSX and ELDM. TTSX for up close/big stuff/word shot angles. ELDM for longer ranges where it shines. Although, if I'm being honest, 99% of the time I carry the ELDM and use discernment for shot angles up close. I'll take neck shots up close when plausible. Or make sure and choose broadside or quartering away shots on bigger game.
I guess what I'm saying is I don't worry about blood trails as much in my ladder days. I put greater emphasis on shot placement and experience has taught me that they all expire within 60yds with a double lung shot, so tracking really isn't a big issue. If I want blood cause I'm in thick brush stand hunting tx brush I'll use the ttsx and aim low. But mostly I'll just use the eldm in case of a longer shot and take neck shots if I'm worried about tracking (which I'm usually not worried about)

Barnes TTSX is what you seek young Jedi. I have a collection of "recovered" bullets which are Swift A-Frames, Hornady Interlocks, and Nosler Partitions. I have no Barnes Bullets in that collection, never recovered one. Everything I shot with them were recovered quickly with no tracking.
The only Barnes I have recovered is a .270 Win. 150gr XBT. Dug it out of a tree that was behind the elk. Around 100 yard shot. Weight was 148 grains and change.

Mono core like barnes tsx will perform as requested. Hammer and cutting edge maker bullets will do the same. Some mono cores are designed to fragment and shed 4 petals leaving a solid core. In 6.5 I would shoot the heaviest projectile of this type your rifle twist will stabilize. You must determine the twist vis manufacture spec's or the cleaning rod flag method. Then check bullet manufacture suggestions. Mono cores are long for their weight and require a faster twist.

If so inclined and you reload you can have a pull through reamer made in 6.5x55 ackley improved. Recut your chamber Gain a100 to 150 depending on barrel length and powder. It's not the traditional way , but when you fire form load with the bullets seated hard into the lands or with a false shoulder left on the neck you won't have any problems. I did this with a 280 rem that did not perform that I am extremely happy with.

I have to say I am shocked to hear this. I have been shooting a Swede for the past 22 years and have used just about every bullet that has been made and always get a pass through, that includes Elk. What kind of ammunition are you using currently? What region do you hunt as well? Shot placement?
I felt exactly the same when I read the OP (the shocked part, as a long-time user of the 6.5x55 myself), and also felt like data was too sparse for respondents to give good help.
Mr. Ksduckhntr,
What does "almost a dozen" deer mean? What is the sample size we're dealing with here? How big were they?
What are the "various bullets" used? If nothing else, at least the rest of us can avoid those ourselves.
Like DCBenn88 said, just about any typical 6.5mm cup and core hunting bullet ought to be giving pass-throughs on broadside deer hits at 6.5x55 velocities. Based on your handle I'm guessing you're from Kansas, which I know grows some big deer. That might be a factor. I have only killed with 140 partitions, 130 NABs and 130 Original Barnes X in my 6.5x55, so of course all those passed through, but I've also heard of nothing but fine penetration from other C&C bullets.

Cheers,
Rex

Nosler partition, AB or ABLR. I shoot the 142 ABLR in my swede at 2920fps. All pass through from 75yds to 710 yds. On dozens of animals, antelope, whitetail, muledeer and elk. Have only had 2 not pass through ;cow elk at 60yds and a big Mule deer buck at 175.

1. Hammer Hunter
2. Barnes TTS
3. Nosler Partition
4. Nosler Accubond

I have not tried Eld-x bullets but have seen how they perform on Alabama whitetails. Ditto on Federal fusions.

Back in the day, when I started out with a 30-30, the round nose soft points were pretty much all we could get. Shot placement was key. When i moved to 30-06, same bullet weight in the soft point, the results were, I thought at the time, devastating.

Then I started reloading and the world opened up. (so any of the above 4 I have supreme confidence in boring a hole completely through out to 400 yds)

The Swede has sufficient velocity...actually excessive velocity reduces penetration as the bullets impact velocity can set up a hydrostatic bow wave of blood & and lymph liquids that actually make the tissue harder to passthrough ...think of how velocity effects the resistance of a falling object hitting the surface of a lake. i.e. if you are waterskiing at 25 mph the water simply splashes out of the way BUT if you are zipping along behind a true speed boat at 55 mph falling will hurt or even injure.

Another important factor is your aim point ... are you a heart-lung guy or a shoulder-spine man?
Resistance is much different between these two kill zones. Remember IF Velocity was required for penetration to the vitals...300 fps arrows would not kill!!

Last edited:
125 partition for deer, 2900fps will give you what want every time at under 350 yds. My normal hunting area is 200 and less, almost every one DRT. All had exits