Looking for pass through

The ELDX is just a new sleek SST with a fancy tip. They blow up just like SST. I stopped using both for big game, good bullets for coyotes
Gosh, I hope not! I just bought like 450 of these! That was based on several ballistic testing videos that impressed me. seems like it needs to stay over 1700fps though. Lower, it seems to tumble….which isn't terrible. I'm coming from Berger EH which just wasn't superbly accurate in my rifle and they have a reputation for unreliable expansion.

And I've used both eldx and SSTs and have had zero issues. Every animal has been recovered. One went a little far but that was 100% on my shot placement. SST dropped 2 cow elk in their tracks. I will continue to use them.
Interesting. What caliber and range on the SST's? My negative SST issues were 270 WSM at just under 100 yds and 6.5x55 at 25 yds….hit hip joint/spine. Shot was supposed to go base of neck.

Shoot the TTSX (or perhaps the GMX).
These seem good, but don't they need to be above 2000 fps to expand? The Swede is hard to keep that fast!

I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
You might try the Sierra Gameking 140 grain or the Tipped Gameking 140 grain. You don't really need a bonded bullet at velocities under about 2800fps, and the Gameking will mushroom well down to around 1500fps or so, with mass enough to get pass-throughs down to that velocity, which would be pretty much anywhere within 400 yards or so. Also, check out this site for good and accurate info on the 6.5 X 55 Swede round for both good bullets and possible hand load information. https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

Last edited:
With all due respect, SST's are a joke or the marketing is crap. I've seen several blown up. Maybe under 2400 fps they could work.

ELD-X should work going through ribs.

I believe Accubond or something like Federal Terminal Ascent.
The sst in my 257wby absolutely grenaded on whitetail even over 300yds away. Hornady should have labeled that 117gr bullet a vmax.

I've had good luck with 120gr Sierra Pro Hunters out of my 260. Hit them behind the shoulders and always pass through.

are

I do not have the same issues as you are experiencing. The next time I reload for my 6.5x55, it will be the 156 Berger for the max energy dump; no exit wound required.
I like the bullet but my short barreled Swede didn't like the 156 even though the twist was there. Sticking with 130-140s but might look at hammers.

I have taken almost a dozen deer with various bullets in a 6.5 sweede but none have left an exit hole. All shots have been sub 350 yds broadside type shots. All deer did the same thing and die, but there was little to no blood trail. I am wanting to find a bullet that will give me an entrance and exit hole on whitetail. What bullets should I consider? I have shot sst, eld-x
Speer Gold dot 140. I've killed numerous deer with this bullet, and have only recovered 1 from a non pass through in an off shoulder. It retained 127 grains and expanded to 60 caliber, 263 yards through both shoulder. Furthest kill with this bullet was at 450 yards; this deer ran about 40 yards spraying blood on both sides of the body.

Be careful what you ask for. Going from an eldx to a mono is one extreme to the other. You might get great blood trails. They just might be long and that could be another issue. It's hard to beat the partition or accubond at those ranges.

Long read. Scroll down to the hand loading
Section.

I got my first pass through on wt this year with 142Lrab....broadside at 395yds...in and out dead deer 'kinda running flopping' down hill.....
Others I've taken have been 1/4 to or away...and same 142Lrabs traveled all the way to other end of critters....found those just inside skin..........
All you HH shooters want to send me you 142Lrabs.....6.5mm....I will give ya my address.......😁

Gosh, I hope not! I just bought like 450 of these! That was based on several ballistic testing videos that impressed me. seems like it needs to stay over 1700fps though. Lower, it seems to tumble….which isn't terrible. I'm coming from Berger EH which just wasn't superbly accurate in my rifle and they have a reputation for unreliable expansion.

Interesting. What caliber and range on the SST's? My negative SST issues were 270 WSM at just under 100 yds and 6.5x55 at 25 yds….hit hip joint/spine. Shot was supposed to go base of neck.

These seem good, but don't they need to be above 2000 fps to expand? The Swede is hard to keep that fast!
Yes, this is THE issue with these bullets. They don't expand at as low of velocities vs the eldm/berger stuff. So I don't consider them "long range" bullets. But they do represent the extreme end of penetration.

There is no perfect bullet my man. Anyone who tells you diff is full of it. All have strengths and weaknesses. I like to dual load. TTSX and ELDM. TTSX for up close/big stuff/word shot angles. ELDM for longer ranges where it shines. Although, if I'm being honest, 99% of the time I carry the ELDM and use discernment for shot angles up close. I'll take neck shots up close when plausible. Or make sure and choose broadside or quartering away shots on bigger game.

If I go with a mono style bullet should I drop to the 120's to keep the speed up? If I stick with a more traditional bonded bullet are the 140 class bullets going to give me the results I'm looking for? The only downfall to the swede or any mid caliber 6.5 is the lack of speed obtained for the terminal results I'm looking for.

Shot my first deer with the Absolute Hammer yesterday out of my 280AI at 100 yards. Perfect pass through, and the heart and lungs were vaporized. Can't say anything about a blood trail because it was a bang flop.
What grain Hammer are you shooting out of your .280AI? Thanks