Looking for a basic Mississippi Flyway hunt

Hate to read these reports on the MS duck hunting declines. Back in the 70's and 80's, we could find ducks most anywhere there was water, and then in the fall/winter, many fields and wood lots would flood for good green head and wood duck hunts. Temps were colder then, and there were several times we had to break ice on our areas for ducks to land in concentrated spots.

I miss those days with friends, family, a good dog and having freezers filed with wild duck for little costs.

there was a time when having water meant having ducks. that's when the limit was 3.

now that it's 6 we cant kill squat. but that's what is best, Uncle Sam says. keep pouring money into conservation for a bird that never reaches your state. methinks NOT.
"great hatch"
"excellent nesting habitat"
"numbers are x percent above the long term average"

It matters none when they get semi-intentionally short stopped, waiting on a freak weather event to bump them farther down.

Last edited:
And when they are not, we shoot geese, deer, or cook a feast, whatever mood strikes. I guided for 30 seasons, just play with the kids and grandkids now. Tons more fun and that's the only reason I keep the place. I really don't care how thick they are anymore. You can only eat so many in a lifetime, but the kids don't think they've killed their share I guess. They watch the moon, fronts etc to take off work. I mostly just go when its pretty. Don't want to kill one bad enough to get wet anymore. Guess I've become what I used to laugh at.
Amen brother I hear you load and clear. Still like to squirrel hunt with a "feist" dog and catching red bellies on my fly rod. Merry Christmas to you Tribb

Go to Oklahoma instead
IMG_20231224_211927.jpg
IMG_20231224_211921.jpg