Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

I have thought of so many many mass and models of so many guns and scopes. etc....
And after going out shooting yesterday I came to the conclusion.... There is NO LONG range hunting on a budget. Just a less expensive route and/or a more expensive route.

Headed to Shot!

Agreed. My total outlay for my last savage project:$2169.25 fully assembled ready to shoot.

Current budget for my Winchester model 70 project.

Keep in mind I am fitting the barrel myself.

Winchester M70 Featherweight $799.99
X-caliber 6mm 1/8" twist 23.5" medium Palma barrel with 6 flutes $320
Timney trigger (SMH) $109.99
EGW 20 MOA WSM (special!) base $47.50
Rings $120
Stock - to be decided

So I've spent $1400 with no stock or bottom metal, or accessories! Most importantly... No glass!

Twins! Just finished my second DIY, another 280 Ackley same specs as the first except for the scope. Moving on to load development soon.

PacNor barrels, JP brakes, Boyds stocks, RifleBasix triggers, EGW rails, Burris rings. Just over 12 lbs each.

Attachments

• Gen2completion 007.JPG
    Gen2completion 007.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Gen2completion 019.JPG
    Gen2completion 019.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Gen2completion 013.JPG
    Gen2completion 013.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 119
  • Gen2completion 035.JPG
    Gen2completion 035.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 122
Nice pair of rifles.

Mine is not finished. Manners is way over due on my stock

I am $2900 deep on this project and I did all of the work myself.

I ended up choosing a vortex viper PST 2.5-10x32 for the glass on this one. I need a hunting rifle capable to 700 and this will do it!

I paid $740 with shipping for my Bear Hunter on Gun Broker, $1240 for the NightForce NSX from a member here, 115 for the seekins rings, I tink $70 or $80 for the EGW HD 20 moa base, I think around $70 for the level. I still have to get a better bipod for it and dies and reloading components. AB app is on my phone. I might just say forget it and save up for the G7 or find one used. My scope is MOA. I am having a lot of fun with it and so far nothing is on credit card so everything is owned. Im into most everything at a price point that if I dont like it I can get most of my money back so thats a good thing. So far I really like everything so no complaints yet.

I really got started into a long range rifle by luck. I won a Weatherby Vanguard in 300Wby at a Firemans gun raffle. It was a S1 with the black tupper ware stock which was ok since the cost of the ticket was 10 bucks. after receiving the rifle and installing a Bushnell Trophy scope I had laying around I bought some new brass and reloaded some ammo to shoot my new prize. The trigger sucked so I bought a Timiney which Midway had on sale and installed it. Back to the range and the groups improved. They went from under 2 inches to just under 1 inch at a hundred yards. During the site in a small problem arrosed with the Bipod I had installed on the front sling swivel stud. The recoil had pulled the stud out of the tupper ware stock. Now mind you these weren't full house loads and were below max. the bipod was folded up and was there for added weight as I was shooting off bags. So back to the lap top to look for a new stock as the tupper ware wasn't going to work for me. Let me state at this time that I had won several hundreds of dollars at Bull roast and off tip jars to feed this project but I was being as frugel as I could with my funds. Found a new B&C medalist stock in Mossy oak camo pattern for $240 and installed the Weatherby action in it. So far all I did was drop in since the factory fit was very snug and I wanted to shoot it to see what results I got. The groups went to .78 inches out side to out side for three shots. But anoughter problem came up. The recoil from the 300 maybe while still in the tupper ware stock had caused the scope rectical adjustments to go crazy. So a scope replacment was in order. I found a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14x44 for under 600 at Camera Land .com. It now sits on top of the Vanguard. The accuracy stayed right around .75 inches for 3 shots at 100 yards.
Any further suggestions on improving the accuracy would be appreciated.
OH yes the total out of pocket cost has been $35 to me because of all the tip jar winnings.
that does it ,im back to archery ,,lol ,just kiddinglightbulb

Quick question: what is the opinion on Leatherwood optics, seems like nice glass, sniper buds approve of em LOL. gun)

My first LR was a $300 Ruger M77 in 30/06,,, it didn't take long to get into the 1000 meter range,,, my up grade took me out there further...

More consistency and easier to shoot as the quality of the rifle went up,,, a dialed in rifle,,, optic,,, and ammo allowed me to push these limits.

If I had to do it all over again,,, I'd a gone the Remmy Sorrento category,,, probilibly another 30/06 or 308 since I'm all about frugal. LOL.

Good luck finding what works for you,,, that's what really counts