Locks for your gun safe

KSB209

My gun safe has a S & G rotary style combination lock on it. Sometimes it doesn't work and takes multiple tries (and yes I know I am doing it correctly). Had anyone ever changed theirs out to a digital style lock? If so how hard is it? I called a few locksmiths and they want $600-$800 to change it. I can almost buy another safe for that price. Any thoughts on how to change it and brands of new digital locks?

Depending upon the manufacturer such as Browning or Canon, you might be able to reset the dial for new combination which may reset the dial and eliminate the issues you are encountering. If you still have original paperwork, see if there is a reset option or call them with serial number to see if there is a reset option. They provide it just so you can protect the safe if the combination was compromised. Just a thought to try.

Yes, you should be able to swap it out with digital or another manual tumbler lock.
If it does fail as is, there is really no way to open that door without cutting a big hole in the lock area of the door and hoping that nothing is damaged in contents or worse a fire (plasma torch...)
If you have doubts, now is the time to inquire and service or buy another lock....
If you pull the interior door panel, take a good look at what you would have to cut through to get that door open. Basically you would scrap the safe once you cut out the lock on a repair $ basis.

My gun safe has a S & G rotary style combination lock on it. Sometimes it doesn't work and takes multiple tries (and yes I know I am doing it correctly). Had anyone ever changed theirs out to a digital style lock? If so how hard is it? I called a few locksmiths and they want $600-$800 to change it. I can almost buy another safe for that price. Any thoughts on how to change it and brands of new digital locks?
I had the same thing happen to an S&G lock on one of my safes. I ended up taking the back off and studying how it worked. I figured out that one of the discs inside had slipped enough that one of the combination numbers was off by 1. That was several years ago and I still use it with 1 added to the appropriate digit in the combination.

Similar to Gunin4m my S&G had some disc slip. As an example: original comb 8-28-81. I kept trying one digit either direction until I found sweet spot at 7-27-80. Works fine ever since.

I found on my S & G lock that going half a number past the correct numbers works every time. Mine is probably 40 years old and I think that the mechanism wears from use causing the need to go past the numbers slightly.

I had the same thing happen to an S&G lock on one of my safes. I ended up taking the back off and studying how it worked. I figured out that one of the discs inside had slipped enough that one of the combination numbers was off by 1. That was several years ago and I still use it with 1 added to the appropriate digit in the combination.
I also have a S&G lock on my safe. It came with a combo reset key and instrucions. You go in from the back. I will dig them out this morning and post pics of key and instructions. IMO you should buy a reset key from S&G or any lock and key store and try to change combo.

These are indications of trouble!
It would be best to open it and not lock it back until it is repaired.
The tolerance of an S&G mechanical lock are about 1/2 of a number when dialing. Sometimes the wheels don't lock properly or there may be some wear causing the issue. Open the door and lock it open. Dial the combination and on the last number dial it 1# off in either/both directions. If it opens regularly a combination reset may be in order to get the gates to line up properly under the fence.
Then we can go from there.

Last edited:
I found on my S & G lock that going half a number past the correct numbers works every time. Mine is probably 40 years old and I think that the mechanism wears from use causing the need to go past the numbers slightly.

I was going to type the same exact thing, but 340 Master beat me to it.