Leupold warranty puts others to shame!

[ QUOTE ]
Charles, you mean the luppy? yep, it don't click it just slides..
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya thats what I figured. You probably already know it but the friction turrets are not repeatable at all. I "guess" there all right for normal hunters that sight in and leave it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Charles, my boy can't make up his mind wether he likes the leupold or the RWS better, both on his gammo .177 cal air gun. The RWS at least has clicks.
I steal his air gun scope for use on an estate rifle when we've guests over for driven boar. both do the job for that.
Pete

It's been a well know fact for many many years that the Leupold's adjustment are not that good (friction)...but they can work good if one does the proper way of adjusting them.

I have found that if you need to move, say 1" up, then the best way to do this is to go up 2" then back 1". This of course takes out the back lash.
Yes, I know every one know's this right! I have been doing it this way for, I guess around 25 yrs now and all my Leupolds have functioned just fine.

Thinking back for many years...I have had 14 Leupolds and just <font color="blue">one</font> is all I have ever had to send back for repair - adjustment knob locked up.

Pete ,
I'm sure S and B scopes are great but what have you done to break 8 Leupolds ? I have had 7 Leupolds over almost 25 years and never yet required a repair .
On the subject of your current Leupold . There is a "trick" to making their adjustments work more accurately . Many scopes (not just Leupolds) require a shock (eg. recoil from a couple of rifle shots) to settle the reticle after an anti-clockwise adjustment . This is due to the fact that the reticle must be moved by a spring when the adjustment is made in an anti-clockwise direction . In many scopes the springs are not strong enough to do this reliably without a little help (shock / recoil).
It is good practice to go a few clicks past your desired adjustment and then wind back but only when you are adjusting in an anti-clockwise direction . Reticle adjustments made in a clockwise direction are controlled directly by the thread on the turret adjustment and therefore do not require the same action and will in fact work much more accurately without it .

Well the leupolds had various problems, and i am also rough on kit, a rifle is a tool and not a baby that i wrap in cotton wool. magnification ring became stiff and seazed, tracking problems with adjustable turrets,
the internals coming appart and the black coating inside might have to do withusing moderators and muzzle breaks,
but lenses splintering on the inside..
i was sick of it by the time i changed brands.
what io like about S&amp;B is rock solid reliable performance and excellent optic combined with the best ergonomics.
no voodo, no tricks no tapping and throwing the bones or other rituals, just dial it in and shoot.
Pete

Pete Lincoln

&lt;&lt;Leupold is not a premium scope if you compare it to a couple of the european ones.&gt;&gt;

Well...I'm gonna send Leupold an email advising them to NEVER attempt making a premium scope because their "imperfect ones" put all my shots where I'm holding!! Never had one break yet!!

Hehehe!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

have had a couple of the Loopies take a Poopie on me and the customer service was good on one and bad on the other. Funny since I have been using S&amp;B and US Optics never had to send one back and that included a fall that would have crushed the Loopie but in all fairness the US Optics is built to a different standard. I would give Loopie a try again and if I get one of the short barrel Ruger 308's I will put a Loopie on it. If you are doing most of you shooting in good light then the advantage of the aforementioned brands becomes less apparent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rmulhern.....I agree. I don't know how many I have a leupold on every long gun I own and I have never had a problem with any of them.

If they are so great why is everone haveing so many problems? My experiance is they do not stand up to recoil. I will take A Burris any time. Good warranty service doesn't make up for lacking quality

jeeper1

Basically...I think you're "hearing" a lot of BS reference "a lot having trouble"! I know some folks what can tear up an anvil with a feather however so some forms of abuse are uncalled for because of being an idiot! Like I've said before....I've owned many Leupold scopes; this is Leupold country and I run a rifle range here where many people come to shoot and there isn't any TROUBLE involving Leupold products!

Frankly....it doesn't make me any difference if folks want to use a scope with a lard bucket objective lens or not! I know what works, what has worked for a LONG TIME, and what will continue to work in the future so....that's what me and these ole boys here will continue to do! As for Leupold scopes not standing up to recoil...BS! I've got a friend that hunts Africa 3 times a year shooting a .470 Evans with Leupold atop that has shot literally no less than 2500 rounds through this rifle with no scope trouble! I've had a .378 Weatherby with Leupold atop it and it recoils akin to a barnyard mule...but NO SCOPE TROUBLE!! And...if you REALLY want to find out how "tuff" a scope is....put it atop an air rifle!! Which I've done with Leupold scopes and still.....NO PROBLEMS!!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY TO ALL!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeeper1. I read an article a few months ago where the writter interveiwed three of the top builders of dangerous game rifles and asked which scopes were the toughest?
All three said the same thing, (LEUOPOLD)
They also said that they could break most german built scopes in less than 20 rounds. the Busnell Elite was considered very tough also and one of the men used the Elite to verify when a scope had gone bad. Take it for what it's worth.
7mmrhb

I read one time where they asked the top 100 guides or outfitters there "choice" of scopes for there clients to bring. Guess what, a ridiculous amount, something like 90 of the 100 said Leupold. Zeiss and Swarovski got something like 1 or 2 votes. My family has bought nothing but Leupolds and never had a problem with any of them. That goes for the vx2's, vx3's, and now my MK4. My old vx2 6-18 Target stayed on my unbraked 300 RUM for 500 shots. I had no problems keeping it zeroed. Leupolds will continue to get all my family's business untill something does go wrong, which I highly doubt it will.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.