Leupold Scopes...Do you trust them today?

I just sent a VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS back to Leupold this week. I put it on two different rifles, both .5 MOA rifles and it won't shoot better than 1.5-2" with either rifle!! I have another identical scope that I've had no trouble with.....it's on a rifle that shoots .2-3" with this scope. I'm anxious to hear what they have to tell me when they test it!

Lol! They will tell you they found nothing wrong and it passed all of their "tests." You'll get an invoice that shows parts were replaced and the rifle will go back to shooting .5.

You said and other's agreed that 600 yards while ( hunting ) is a CHIP SHOT. I'll ask again what do you all consider a chip shot ?

l've used the expression "Chip Shot" in a few threads myself and always meaning exactly what Rick meant. An easy shot...

In golf, an easy ""Chip and a Putt" is a phrase used almost like a guarantee. But, shooting, like golf, nothing is truly guaranteed until you've completed the task successfully.

"Chip Shot" will mean something different to some hunter/shooters and exactly the same to others...

It's a shot you've made many times and if the conditions and set up, are right to you, it will feel like a "Gimme" rather than a difficult shot...

Question for you...Now that you know what is behind the meaning of the phrase...."What's your "Chip Shot" look like?

I'm happy with my VX-5HD. Did very well on my tall target test and the glass and turret are perfect for hunting. And the weight is low too. A lot of these companies selling 30+ ounce scopes are great for comps and other things, but I'd rather save the 10+ ounces and take the VX5. If you shop around the 3-15 can be had in the low to mid 700's. It's hard to beat at that price point, IHMHO

After a bit of thought My definition of "A chip shot" would be accurate within 1 MOA 100% of the time.
I feel without getting into the E word of hunting, and my many years of experience harvesting 100's of big game animals mainly whitetail deer. There is no such thing as a "chip shot" while hunting.
Example at 600yards bullet flight time on a .300 win mag varies from about .7 to .9 seconds.
That in turn creates a variable that is out of the hunters control, as to how far the animal moves in that time frame.
To put that time frame of .7 to .9 seconds into perspective. A major league batter has about half that time to react to and hit a pitch .44 seconds

After a bit of thought My definition of "A chip shot" would be accurate within 1 MOA 100% of the time.
I feel without getting into the E word of hunting, and my many years of experience harvesting 100's of big game animals mainly whitetail deer. There is no such thing as a "chip shot" while hunting.
Example at 600yards bullet flight time on a .300 win mag varies from about .7 to .9 seconds.
That in turn creates a variable that is out of the hunters control, as to how far the animal moves in that time frame.
To put that time frame of .7 to .9 seconds into perspective. A major league batter has about half that time to react to and hit a pitch .44 seconds

So, that's a "Yes" on Leupold scopes? Glad you kept your thoughts on "E" out of this discussion. This is, after all, a long range hunting forum.

Call me crazy (go ahead, it's OK) I still trust Leupold scopes after nearly 45 years of using them. Certainly there are better, more expensive, brighter, lighter, better tracking, etc. scopes available. I think it's great to have so many excellent options available.

Enjoy shooting what you have and make adjustments and changes as needed. Practice, practice, practice.

Bob

I Run pile of Mark 5's with absolutely no issues. Been on horseback hunts , bouncing on the quad all day , matches all over the country ... Bulletproof!
Mine have been Rock solid as well the MK5"s are tough and reliable, unfortunately the same has not been true for the vx6 and vx5 that I owned

I like your analogy here. I shoot an awful lot, retired, try get 3 days in a week during nicer weather. On the range I use the most, we have a 24" high, by 36" chink of steel we do load development on at 500. Winds can be tricky starting around 450. We sometimes do dot drills at 500, each of gets 5 dots to shoot periodically during our outing. I call 500 yards a chip shot too, but I have proven to myself that maybe a re-evaluation may be in order. If you miss that the wind has switched directions from side to side, which we get often, things don't go your way.

No. Please reread. I bought a $2500 Leupold that was trash. It was junk. So was my $2100 Leupold.
I have a good $9000 invested in Leupold optics.
My bad I misread your post..
What models were they?
[/QUOTE]

Mark 6 3-18x (multiples) in illuminated and non-illuminated, VX3i, VX3, and newer Mark 4s.

How long ago was that? I think it is so funny that guys get upset at leupold because their vxII or VXIII didnt track like a 2000 nightforce. People have to compare apples to apples. Put a $2500 Mark5hd up against a $2500 nightforce ATACR.
How long ago was that? I think it is so funny that guys get upset at leupold because their vxII or VXIII didnt track like a 2000 nightforce. People have to compare apples to apples. Put a $2500 Mark5hd up against a $2500 nightforce ATACR.

I'd put any NF over my $2500 Mark 6.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.