Leupold Scope Question

Kevo531

I ran across a Leupold Vari X III 2.5 X 8 scope today. I'm used to seeing scopes marked 3-9x40 or 2-7x36, etc. Can anyone tell me why this scope is just marked 2.5 X 8? Any help would be appreciated.

I ran across a Leupold Vari X III 2.5 X 8 scope today. I'm used to seeing scopes marked 3-9x40 or 2-7x36, etc. Can anyone tell me why this scope is just marked 2.5 X 8? Any help would be appreciated.
It is an older model rifle scope. I have one on my Ruger 77. I bought it and the rifle back in 1976. It still performs flawlessly. I think it is a much better scope than the Leupolds of today. The Vari-X III were 2.5-8 or 3.5-10. The .5 indicated it was a Vari-X III, and the "Gold" ring on the objective was actually a brass band that was engraved with Leupold Vari-X III, and not just a painted gold line like they are now. The Vari-X II scopes were a cheaper version, and usually were 2-7, or 3-9 , etc (not the .5). Definitely NOT a pistol scope, the eye relief is only 3 to 4 inches.

Last edited:

I can only summize that that is the actual magnification at it's lowest setting!

But I can till you this from my experiences …..it's one heck of a quality little scope! We (wife and I) used them for many years on high recoil rifles (375 AI and a .338 WM) …..the AI giving very near 60 ft/lbs recoil, without any scope issues!

We went to a slightly higher power (3.5-10) CDS scope but, kept our 2.5-8's as a back-up scope …..in QD rings, zero'd and ready for service if need be! memtb

Last edited:
It is an older model rifle scope. I have one on my Ruger 77. I bought it and the rifle back in 1976. It still performs flawlessly. I think it is a much better scope than the Leupolds of today. The Vari-X III were 2.5-8 or 3.5-10. The .5 indicated it was a Vari-X III, and the "Gold" ring on the objective was actually a brass band that was engraved with Leupold Vari-X III, and not just a painted gold line like they are now. The Vari-X II scopes were a cheaper version, and usually were 2-7, or 3-9 , etc (not the .5). Definitely NOT a pistol scope, the eye relief is only 3 to 4 inches.
morgan.jpg

Didn't they also make a Vari X III 1.75-6x?

Not sure, but it's possible. I seem to remember a 1.5-6 that didn't have the bell objective on it, just the Eyepiece objective and the 1 inch tube.
No expert, but I think by that time, the Vari X turned to next designation. VX?
I know I had what you are talking about.