Leupold mark 4 vs huskemaw

The Huskemaw holds zero very well - tracks very well - it's as accurate as the rifle/shooter. I have only used the Huskemaw one year (3 Kills -elk, deer and sheep) and in my opinion - to answer your question - it is accurate. They do offer as many turrets as your pocket book can stand. They were advertising 2 turrets with a purchase of new scope recently. Having used Leupold and Swarovski for many many years - the Huskemaw is as accurate as any Leupolds that I have had and far surpass the Swaros in tracking ability. The only thing I have found wrong with the Huskemaw is that it doesn't turn back to your zero setting automatically. From that you may assume that I'm an old codger and have used the hold over reticles way too long - And you'd be right. I have been to their shop and their office and I have no negative comments on their service, customer relations or quality of their products. As far as clarity comparison - too close to call any one way - I think if 10 guys gave you an opinion you might get way more than a couple of answers. Mine has been on a horse/mule for at least 30 days since Sept. and it's dead on after checking it a number of times. They work fine. Be more than happy to give you any further 2 cent opinions if you have any more questions. And yes I have shot mine out to 1000 yds. more than once.
Your Huskema wouldnt return to Zero!!!!what did you do...that is kinda a biggy.....

Yes you can order turrets for any elevation you want. A 2000 ft elevation turret is good from sea level to 4000 ft a 6000 ft elevation turret is good for 4000 ft to 8000 ft. or any comination you want.

A 2000 ft elevation turret is good from sea level to 4000 ft a 6000 ft elevation turret is good for 4000 ft to 8000 ft. or any comination you want.

Well, yes, depending on a number of things like how flat shooting your particular load is, max range, in-the -field-adjustments, etc. I wouldn't want the BDC turret naysayers to see this thread and jump on your unqualified statement as part of our "gospel". Some of them can get pretty worked up, you know. :D

Len Backus you might want to do a little more research yourself. The turrents are customized to your particular load in your rifle. How flat shooting your rifle is has nothing to do with the elevation range a turrent is good for. I realize there are a lot of people out there with nothing better to do with their time than sit around and wait on something to argue about on these forums. a question was asked, I responded with an answer, seeing as how I happen to own 2 of them with multiple turrents each I might have a little more insight and real life experience with this subject than someone whom has never owned one much less used one. Everyones reponse here is their opinion on what works best for them. Having said that we all know about opinions they are kinda like rectums everyone has one.:rolleyes:

Ultramag45 - Didn't mean to mislead you.
When I made the comment: "The only thing I have found wrong with the Huskemaw is that it doesn't turn back to your zero setting automatically. From that you may assume that I'm an old codger and have used the hold over reticles way too long - And you'd be right" I was being a smart Alec. Ernie was dead on with his response. Long story short: Shot an elk late one afternoon at 650 yd. setting - Result was Bang-Plop-elk rolled down the hill. Got the horses-did my thing and never reset my turret to 200 yd. zero. Next morning I shot plumb over a deer at just over 200 yds. - couldn't believe I missed. After a few seconds the light bulb came on and 2 plus 2 then added up. I won't ever do that again. If there is a plus to this it is that the dang thing shoots to wherever the turret is set.

Team Roper, Whoa! We are on the same side, take a deep breath. I use 2 Huskemaws, love them, I am a dealer here on LRH at the LRH Gear Shop. I use them at varying elevations, making adjustments in the field as necessary. It's very easy to do. :)

What I meant was even though I agree with everything you said -- some who don't like BDC turrets (not me) may jump on your statement as being a little misleading to neophyte shooters.

How flat shooting your rifle is has nothing to do with the elevation range a turrent is good for.

What I meant was that someone making a case against BDC turrets (not me or you) may pick that statement apart a little because they (not me and you) like to debate things like this.

What I meant is that it is technically true that the flatter shooting your load is -- the wider range of elevation each of your custom turrets is good for. Silly and extreme example would be a muzzleloader. That gun using a "4000 to 8000 elevation turret" would not work well because it has too much drop to work over that wide of an elevation range.

So a 3400 fps, .660BC load will work with the (4000 - 8000) ft range better than say a 308 using a 200 grain flat nose bullet with the same (4000 - 8000) elevation range.

It's almost academic to state this but if we don't concede it someone may come to this thread and bring it up as thoough it proves the BDC concept is no good..(not me or you).

Ok, you can let out that deep breath now. Are we still friends? :)

Maybe this will answer your question:
Huskemaw 5-20 LR Scope Review

Thanks Ernie your review answers it. I guess I don't have a very good memory I read it a while back. I think I would just order multiple turrets as I don't want to rely to much on my math skills, the 4000to 8000 ft would work for my gun ok out to 800 but if I get that 1400 yard shot (and my gun will do it not so sure about my skills though) it might be stretching it with 4000' atmospheric difference so multiple turrets would be worth it

I decided to go with the leupold vx3 in 6.5x20x50
for my current build I then had the custom shop replace the turrets with the m1 target turrets
I did this because the mark 4 only has 70 moa of travel in it and the vx3 has 94moa of travel

Well, according to ...

Am I out of my mind ? Today I just mounted a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5x16 x50MM onto my rifle. Last week I mounted my new IOR 2.5x10x42MM on another rifle. IOR is better then the 6500. Shooter next bench over had a 3.5x10x 40MM Leupold MK4 . That scope wilted in comparison to my 6500 elite. IOR made it look like the MK4 came out of a Cracker jacks box. Totally un impressed by the MK 4.

Team Roper
Do you know Len Backus?
Maybe you should be a bit more tactful

Last edited:
Ditto, Team roper your broad statement shows just how little you know. You had better do some research:rolleyes:

RockZ sometimes one smart alec coment inspires another. No need to worry I have talked in person to Len and as far as I am concerned all is forgiven.

sp6X6 I still stand by what I said. Rather than generalize my ignorence tell me exactly where I am so mistaken.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts