Leupold=China Junk!

Question? Have you been using the recent Leupold rifle scopes manufactured in the past 5 years?

Your experience with Leupold may be similar to mine. Except I've migrated to other brands of rifle scopes over the past 5 years. For two reasons. Firstly, as I shifted to specializing in LRH, I wanted higher power magnification than I had previously been content with. Secondly, prior to changing out my lower power variable scopes to higher power variable scopes, I researched and learned there were now many options in addition to Leupold, and that those other options provided better values for my money. Even when I was using my Leupolds all those earlier years, I was aware that some cheaper scopes I owned had glass that provided better light transmission and resolution. I always thought my Leupolds were only so-so (average) with respect to the quality of the glass.

I came to believe we were paying a premium for Leupold scopes in part, because of their iron-clad warranty service, and in part because of leftover sentiment from years gone by, when Leupold had gained and maintained the lion's share of the US market in rifle scopes for so many years. Lots and lots of loyal Leupold customers. That loyalty is still present today for many average hunters. A relative of mine owns/operates a gun shop and Leupold scopes have always seen a steady following if customers. Although most recently (the past 3 years) I am seeing many more non-Leupold scopes on the shelved in his gun shop.

It seems like Leupold knows there are a lot of quality competition branded scopes that they have to compete against. Sound as if they're struggling to maintain quality in their effort to remain competitive. And I'm sure they do need to outsource some of their parts to remain competitive. Because a lot of the competition is also outsourcing.

Almost forgot to make my point. I never had problems with my Leupold scopes from 8 to 35 years ago either. But it seems what I'm reading in this Thread is - the reliability of the currently manufactured scopes may not be as good as my older Leupold scopes were.

phorwath,

Most the scope business I've done and do with Leupold is tactical scopes, of late I've picked up their Prismatic 1x14mm with Illum plex which I like very much, and a couple of the Mk AR 1.5-4x20mm that seem to work nice for a less expensive scope. Over the years my safe(s) have been came heavy with Leupold optic. As for quality of optic, lens, coating and light gathering; well'…, I must be one of those guys's you never hear about. My Mk19 calibrated eye balls and 3 to 5 millimeters "day time" pupil diameter can't real measure the light gathering transmissions or the quality of glass as other can do.

Another one of the latest scopes I've bought for my M1A was an Mk 4 3.5-10x40mm LT/T M3 LR/Tac Illum... very nice glass, I guess.. I also run a short range scope on my M1A from Leatherwood the CMR Series Hi-Lux 1-4x24 Riflescope illum; to tell you the truth it's cheap, but works great, the CMR reticle is "super" I mean "tip top" and it seems to hold up just fine, yeah I know, it's made in China; that I'm not big on at all, but I knew Jim in the Nam days and used his then great little ART's on a M21/M14 I've also used it on a modified M700's. It was a Realist 3x9 scope and the glass was superb, tough as nails scope, so I thought I've give this one a try just for old times…
If there was an older scope that stands out in my mind from Leupold, I think it would be the M8 6X42mm as a sporting scope what a scope over the years.

I have others; Leica, Night Force, Trijicon, Redfield, Weaver, Original 4x Colt, Bushnell, Swarovski they all work and look pretty good through my eye(s)

I've owned many others in the past including B&L, S&B, Zeiss, Unertl and Lyman... and quite a few cheapies'.

Back your question per se.. I can't tell any real change in Leupold products from the 60's to date other then they've gotten better in features like mechanics and I suppose optics.

Just my .02

I dont have any of Leupold's older scopes, but i absolutely love their scopes. Never had any issues and i think their glass is great as far as i can tell. In regards to their scopes being china junk, i COMPLETELY DISAGREE. I have actually taken a tour at their factory and i can tell you that they design, manufacture and assemble ALL THEIR SCOPES here in the US. Do they import glass? im sure of it. But im also sure 99% of the other companies do as well. The one complaint i have heard is that the leupold scopes are expensive, but as mentioned earlier on this thread, its because you pay for the lifetime warranty and customer service. Could I buy some european scopes which would be cheaper and of the same quality? Probably. But i take pride in knowing my money stays here in the states instead of to europe or somewhere else.

To the person who started this thread, have you sent it in for repair? With anything mechanical, you are bound to have mechanical failures. I have seen the impact test machine and the water submission machine used at leupold and can tell you that they really do try and make sure all their products are fault proof, but we all know its impossible to do that with anything mechanical.

I will send it in soon as Iam done hunting, with deer season in full swing and another elk hunt in NM I will take here off when I get home and settled and let them check it out. I think any company getting any of their glass or any other parts from China is disgusting, my be the way of business now but I will go with the nightforce, Swar, Zeiss scopes, I dont mind getting stuff from abroad but not China who is CHEAP with everything they do, come on lead paint and trying to kill our pets...................Japan wasnt ever that bad even when they invaded us!

I emailed Leupold over a week ago asking if there is Chinese glass in my VX-II 2-7x28 and VX-3 1.5-6x32. To date, I have not received a response. However, the website states:

"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses. This is because at this time, there is no American manufacturer that can supply the quantity of high quality lenses that Leupold needs for its annual Golden Ring Optics production. Leupold's lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in its state-of -the-art optics lab and then procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards. Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the assembly process. Incidentally, all major optics producers worldwide acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years."

If any of Leupold's Chinese subcontractors were among the world elite, no doubt they would be marketed transparently as such (i.e. like Schott glass and Japanese vendors to Nightforce etc). So, it is left to the customer to just have blind faith that Leuopold's Chinese subcontractor produces better glass for Leupold than what they produce for someone like BSA. It seems easier to just buy Euro glass and not worry about the whole quality 'shell game'. Otherwise, one risks blowing a bunch of money on what amounts to a $100 scope stuffed into a $400 package with a Leupold emblem.

It's not the glass that causes problems in scopes. It's either clear or it's not. It's the
rest of the parts, especially the erector and turret parts that are the problems. The
chinese culture worships money. They will cheat however and whenever they can to get it.

So the question I have is their any scope that is made in USA?

I am also interested in knowing. Given that the Mark IV, according to the press release, is now used by the US Army for their sniper rifles, I hope we are not giving money to our enemies for our own weapons.

Out of all the fancy scope only one is in the USA. That kinda sucks. Oh and just a fyi alot of the gear for our troops is lowest bidder. THeir for not made in USA. If someone could prove me wrong I would greatly retract my statement.

Guys I have read some of your post here and can tell you from first hand, I work in China and there are Leupold scopes everywhere for sale there.
One thing I have noticed is there is ALLOT of Russians working in China building all types of products.
Are they the real thing, I don't know, but I sure can't tell any difference in them compared to some I have seen and brought over here state side.

So it could be that the Russians are building Leupolds over there. And not just knock offs,We might never know.

for me I belive their can be quality products produced in every country. But lets face it, we have become a country that cant function without japan, china......... And I think the only way out the mess that we have created for our selfs is try to bring back stuff to the USA. THe only way that will happen if we try to buy USA made! I work for company the produces electric forklifts. That are over 90% made in the USA. But atleast they try to keep stuff made in small town USA

I didn't have time to read all seven thousand posts, but as a person who is 0.0% Chinese, I resemble that remark (the title) .LOL :D

Sorry, nothing to report......Kinda like Leupold.....Not as much as NF, but way more than the Tasco/Bushnell/ BSA/......ect. pieces of krap!!

Thank you, and good day.

Leupold cant keep up with the len's needs because no US company can keep up..............maybe that is the **** problem, maybe they need to drop Redfield and Vari I thru Vari 1000 and concentrate on the Vari III and higher and forget al the crap. I buy a lot of guns and glass and they have lost this customer, probably they will never care of feel it but Ive moved on to Swar and NFgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.