Let’s talk custom M70’s

I have been a Model 70 nut since I started shooting center fire rifles five decades ago….perhaps highly influenced by the writings and praise of the Model 70 of Jack O'Connor when I was kid. I have owned and shot most all the permutations of the Model 70(pre and post 64) from 223-458, and will say I never had one that wasn't love at first sight🙄. Most all were kept stock and performed superbly in terms the the accuracy required for the bulk of my earlier hunting career. I was loathe to modify or change the stock/out-of the box state of the rifle. Loved the appearance, fit, functioning, and, the accuracy was generally better then 1 MOA. About 25 years ago when I was hit with the long range bug(about 500 yards with ranging limited to MIL DOT measurement). I was looking to upgrade my performance over my first LR shooter, a 308 cal Varmint Grade rifle. My new rifle was a 1990's vintage, Model 70 Super Grade Sporter in CRF, 270WSM. The only customization was to mount/bed a McMillan sporter style stock, and, work on optimizing by handloads. Ended up getting the rifle to reliably shoot .5MOA with cold-bore shot, and dispatch medium game very well out to 500 yards.(Note; the big Mulie in my shown in my ID picture was taken with this rifle back then). Aside from the chamber being oversized which would limit my case life to 3-5 reloads, and burning out the original barrel at 600 rounds, the rifle delivered the goods very well during its time. That rifle, one of the prettiest rifles I own, still sits in my show case, all original factory with its walnut stock….and burned out barrel…..