Leica Geovid Ranging Binos

Both my wife and I run the 10x42 Geovids and upgrade every 5 years to their newer model. We bowhunt with them more than rifle hunt, and they are the cat's meow. I've looked at the Swaros and Zeiss - but since we bowhunt we wanted something that could go sub-20 yards and that left us with only the Leicas. Besides, it's awesome glass.

Reach out to Doug at Camera Land and he will get you hooked up. I think I got both of our first pairs for under $950 but that was years ago. Now, we just roll out and into new with marginal upcharge.

I have the Geovid Pro and they're great. Considered the Swaro as well since I have a couple of their riflescopes but I liked the usability, simplicity, and accuracy of the Leica rangefinder a bit better. Either is great and my opinion is only subjective. The ability to use them for archery as well was the deciding factor for me personally.

I use the SLC 10x42 but I've been really wondering if the Leica Geovid Pro 10x32 (or 8x32) might be the ideal set-up for compact rangefinding binos for 500 yards and closer.

Haven't seen many comments on these yet.

I use the SLC 10x42 but I've been really wondering if the Leica Geovid Pro 10x32 (or 8x32) might be the ideal set-up for compact rangefinding binos for 500 yards and closer.

Very late reading this. Last fall I bought the Leica Geovid Pro 10x32. I read and read and read lol trying to decide what to buy before a Wy. Elk Hunt. It's quiet an investment so I wanted to ( try) and make sure I got the last binos I'd ever need. I love them!!! I'm not a tech type guy but with a little playing there so easy to use and set up with the AB app that is free. I got ballistics out to 850 with that app. They were spot on when I used the custom profile set up. Size wise really not bad at all and can definitely tell a difference over the non pros. 10x42. The 32 objective size as far as gathering light has not been an issue with me. Hunting in the evenings I have to watch the sunset time so I don't hunt to late lol. Weight isn't to bad. I can live with it just fine. I will say on mine I wish the focus rings were just a little tighter. Being able to set up multiple profiles is super nice and easy with the Pros for different guns. These are the first top end glassed I've looked threw so I can't compare them to otheres. I'll just say there way better than what I had. I'm surly not the most knowledgeable about RFB but I really like mine. Hope that helps.

Having an all in one unit would be great and would shave weight on my chest harness. I usually try to trade up but I've been so satisfied with the SLCs that I don't know how much better optically they would be.

As I've said above I have the GVP 8x32 set and I feel that they're great for that purpose. If I did more open range stuff or if I could only have one set of optics then perhaps I'd go with the 10x42 set. I intentionally bought mine as a bino for archery and rifle. I live East if the Mississippi and I am generally shooting inside 4-600 yards for just about everything. I also have a Kowa spotting scope for long range identification.

I don't know how much different the Leica will be but you have an excellent piece of glass in your SLC. I didn't own a premium set of binos before buying the Leica's but good glass will always be good IMO so if you'd like an extra… or separate set of binos then go for them. I'm sure that you'd like them.

I've run Leica, 1600, 1600B, Geovid HD-B, Geovid 3200.com's and now, Geovid 10x32 Pro's. All good. The Pro's are phenominal! I'm not a glass guy so if you put a pair of Zeiss (have owned), Swaro's or Leica's in front of my eyes, I doubt i'd be able to tell the difference. What I do know if ballistics. The Pro's are very intuitive and easy to learn and use. I've run them with out my beloved Kestrel 5700 Elite but the Kestrel just adds to the package. If you are going to use the "compass" feature in the Pro's make sure your bino carrier has a non-magnetic closure. I use the Marsupial with the bungee closure. Last Fall killed a buck at 588 and cow elk at 630. The cow was about to cross back on to private land so I needed a firing solution, with wind, NOW and I got it. Having reached my overlook in the dark I set my Pro's on my tripod for spotting. Made sure the bluetooth was turned on and set for 1 minute timeout. I then pulled out the Kestrel, took and temp, baro, wind speed/direction. Bluetoothed the info to the Pro's and put the Kestrel back in my check case. Twenty minutes later as it was light enough to shoot I spotted a group of cows that were on the move; towards private land. I quickly got prone, I checked to ensure the Kestrel hadn't timed out/saving power, hit the power button on the Pro's. The units bluetoothed together in less than a second. I took a range, 630, and was rewarded with a quick dope and wind hold. BAM....she was on the ground seconds later.

This past weekend, I competed and RO's an NRL Hunter match just NE of Vernal, Utah. Bright sunny days with a solid blanket of snow. The Pro/Kestrel 5700 combo performed flawlessly. The COF (course of fire) consists of a "blind stage" where the competitor has 4 minutes to run up, find, range, dope and shoot 1, 2 or 4 targets from either 4, 2 or 1 position. You either need easily available preprinted dope or some kind of ranging bino with an onboard ballistic app. The Pro's kicked ***! The time between COF was such my Kestrel's would shut down to save power. The previous Geovid 3200.com's would do this to but it might take 30 seconds to reconnect the bluetooth connection; horrendous in an NRL Hunter match. Not with the Pro's. As I run up, drop my gear and start to look for targets, I'd realize my Kestrel had shut down. I could simply pull it out, hit the power button and drop it back in it's chest case. I'd go to range the target and a second after hitting the power/ranging button the bluetooth connection was there. Hit the button again and .....WaaaLaaaa....dope and wind.

One last thing. I shot all 20 COF on Friday then RO'd stage 1 all Saturday/Sunday. Again, bright, sunny, all snow covered terrain. Super tough condiitons for a LRF to range. Numerous, LRF's, even Swaro's, Zeiss, Sig's, etc, had trouble obtaining ranges in those conditions. My Pro's worked every time!!

Alan

Both my wife and I run the 10x42 Geovids and upgrade every 5 years to their newer model. We bowhunt with them more than rifle hunt, and they are the cat's meow. I've looked at the Swaros and Zeiss - but since we bowhunt we wanted something that could go sub-20 yards and that left us with only the Leicas. Besides, it's awesome glass.

Reach out to Doug at Camera Land and he will get you hooked up. I think I got both of our first pairs for under $950 but that was years ago. Now, we just roll out and into new with marginal upcharge.
Mtnhntr,
I have a pair of Leica 10x42 HD-B binos which have served me well, but really want to upgrade
to the new Pro version in order to bluetooth with my Kestrel and to get the Applied Ballistics solver in the binos. Your post implies that Doug at Cameraland will work with you and take some
sort of trade-in in order to accomplish this. Am I reading that correctly??

Thanks for any info you have,
tonto

Sorry if this has been discussed but I'm looking around for range finding Bino's and the Leica Geovid 10x42 R keeps coming up. Any real hunting experience and opinions on these? Id rather stay in $1500 range.
Thanks
I have a set, love them they have serviced me well I have no complaints.
Cheers

Mtnhntr,
I have a pair of Leica 10x42 HD-B binos which have served me well, but really want to upgrade
to the new Pro version in order to bluetooth with my Kestrel and to get the Applied Ballistics solver in the binos. Your post implies that Doug at Cameraland will work with you and take some
sort of trade-in in order to accomplish this. Am I reading that correctly??

Thanks for any info you have,
tonto
I'm not sure about him and trade-ins, but it would surely be worth an ask.

What you can pick up from him are open-box or previous display items. He typically runs a pretty good discount off of sticker price for these. A good number are the latest and greatest, but occasionally he has some older models for a steal too. They all still have pristine glass, and the warranty - so picking up $2k glass for $900-$1000 is very enticing. I got both of ours for less than $1k (each) to my door.

Warranty was all good too, as I had to have one of them serviced a year or so later too. We use them heavily for archery, and they were getting out of sync between the pair by about a yard and Leica got us fixed up. They just sent a new bino. Haven't had an issue since, and that was about 5 years ago.