Leica Geovid HD-B 3000 vs. HD-R 2700

hrnhntr

Hi all, wondering if anyone can provide feedback on how they like either of these optics. Also what the difference is between the two. Is it just that the 3000 has the ballistic calculator. Anyone that has the 3000 is the caclulator accurate? Also have a kestrel and 4dof on my phone but in a hunting situation would like to have it accurate out to at least 700 for quicker shots. I currently have 10X42 EL's w/swarovision. Looking to go with the Leica or Swaro rangfinding binos to limit another piece of gear.

Last edited:
hrnhntr,

I don't have the binos, but have a fair bit of experience with Leica's ballistic system as I have used it on the CRF 2700b. For sure, it needs updating, but it is definitely sufficient to 700 yards if you use the custom curve ability on the 3000. Depending on what bullet you use, you may be within .1 MOA (Vs your Kestrel) all the way to 1k, or you may need to 'tweak' the curve a bit to make that happen. But in every case, I have been able to make it match to within .1 MOA, as long as coriolis and aero jump are discounted.

So out to 700 you should be good. Keep in mind, all this assumes you are using the custom curve. If you use one of the preset curves, all bets are off. My experience with the 1600b was that the nearest curve was good to about 650, and after that, the wheels fell off, but YMMV depending on how closely your trajectory matches to one of the presets. Either way, if you get the 3000, use the custom curve ability and you should be good.

HTH!

Great info. For the extra money I don't think the 3000 is worth it then.

I should have asked in the original post about the Swaro RF binos. Anyone with experience there? Is their ballistics better? Who has the better glass?

The 3000 HD b I believe will have better glass. They are made in germany where as the HD R line are made in Portugal I believe. That said I think the 3000 is worth the extra cost in my opinion. I think the German made line have better warranty too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.