'Large Caliber' Restrictions in Australia

well i stand corrected, and i apologise.... it seems the paranoia is in fact, well founded.

I have learned that ".408 and .338" calibers are now "restricted". This was direct from weapons licensing, not hear say. Without going into details, i am assuming he was referring to 408cheytac and .338 lapua calibers.

My learned friend in south australia has also had some exposure to the "new rules" and is also privvy to a "list of resticted calibers" from south australia police. some of the calibers on this list included (but not limited to) the .300RUM, .338EDGE, .338RUM and .338lapua.

Now as far as i can tell, these restrictions are not legislation as yet, however, you will not find it easy to get a permit to aquire for these calibers. My learned friend in SA had to provide a letter from a 500km/2 property owner stating that they were aware of the "extreme capabilities" of the caliber and were still ok with it being used there, to obtain his PTA for a .338 edge that i sold to him.

Lastly, the range inspectors have placed a maximum of 7000 Joules muzzle energy limit, for the safety template on every target range that i can find info on at this present time.

ill leave this info for you to make of it what you will....

Unfortunatley this "BS" is real, don't just thro your hands up & give in. Shooting freedoms are never going to be what they were in Australia, but we don't need them to get any worse.
The "BS" that is being peddled by Police & Authoritarians needs to counteracted by fact, as a shooting community all over Australia we need to be alert & positive toward our chosen sport, we have done nothing wrong so we have a right to push our own barrow against fictisious claims.
If we have an interest or use for a particular firearm then we should be able to own one!

BS as in the claims are BS, and not a signal on my part to just say oh well and look the otherway. I say don't give them an inch.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.