Lapua case necks too thick for my rifle

If your barrel was chambered as tight neck, that is usually engraved on the barrel.
Like "260Rem (.290 neck)"

After firing the factory ammo, what do those unsized necks measure?
What do loaded necks with your unturned Lapua brass measure?

My 260AI is a custom reamer 'no-turn neck', but my own Lapua brass requires turning to fit comfortably. If I don't turn, clearance is less than .002" by a couple tenths. I measured with Remington brass…
If you ever want thinner brass in the necks, neck smaller brass up, I do this with several of my custom cartridges to avoid turning necks, .003" chamber clearance is absolute minimum and should never be less than .002".

Cheers.

If your barrel was chambered as tight neck, that is usually engraved on the barrel.
Like "260Rem (.290 neck)"

After firing the factory ammo, what do those unsized necks measure?
What do loaded necks with your unturned Lapua brass measure?
Nothing engraved on the barrel to suggest a tight neck. That doesn't mean it isn't of course. I will be measuring the necks of fired brass, and loaded factory brass, and hopefully figure out what would be a reasonable clearance. However, I hope to find out if there is high quality brass that I can get that doesn't need to be neck turned to fit in the chamber, and that was the main reason I began this post. But I will deal with the Lapua brass I have so I can be able to use it, and learn more about another aspect of reloading that is all new to me. If I can't get good information on other brass that doesn't need to be neck turned, then I will just stick with the Lapua (although it appears to be the most expensive) and find a better neck turning tool. I don't want to have a bunch of different brands of brass with slightly varying dimensions to mess with and keep track of.

Recent Posts