Just ordered some 138gr. Hammer HHT for my .308 Win

Last February we did a load in a Ruger American 308 win with the 138gr Hammer HHT. We tried several powders and settled on Benchmark and a vel of 3050 fps with a small crimp oal of 2.759". We tried Leverevolution, good vel but poor accuracy. Varget was too compressed. TAC had good vel but poor accuracy. Benchmark gave good vel and accuracy.
Still need to tinker with BM for a >.5 MOA. Thinking increase of powder since using Lapua SRP. Will try .3 increments. 2.802 COAL reference.

Last February we did a load in a Ruger American 308 win with the 138gr Hammer HHT. We tried several powders and settled on Benchmark and a vel of 3050 fps with a small crimp oal of 2.759". We tried Leverevolution, good vel but poor accuracy. Varget was too compressed. TAC had good vel but poor accuracy. Benchmark gave good vel and accuracy.
I'm in the early stages of load development with a Ruger American Predator (18") in 308. I'm getting 2965 average with Benchmark a little below pressure signs. I still need to test a few more variables, but it's at about .8 moa right now. One thing I think/hope will help is adding a little more neck tension. I'm using the Lee neck collets and they comes with .003, and the bullet seats (and pulls) really easily. I've ordered .004 and .005 to test out. Then I need to test seating depth, then crimp, the small powder charge variances. Unless I get to 1/2 moa, then I'm calling it good so I can move on to the next rifle load development.

I'm in the early stages of load development with a Ruger American Predator (18") in 308. I'm getting 2965 average with Benchmark a little below pressure signs. I still need to test a few more variables, but it's at about .8 moa right now. One thing I think/hope will help is adding a little more neck tension. I'm using the Lee neck collets and they comes with .003, and the bullet seats (and pulls) really easily. I've ordered .004 and .005 to test out. Then I need to test seating depth, then crimp, the small powder charge variances. Unless I get to 1/2 moa, then I'm calling it good so I can move on to the next rifle load development.
Shoot it at some distance and see how the groups hold up.

I've experimented quite a bit with various neck tension and the placement on the bullet of the neck tension. IME the outcome of these tests are rarely predictable. I have noticed that crimp can, and often does, markedly increase speed and pressure.

Unlike most of the Hammer bullet shooters, I no longer crimp any of their bullets. I have found uniformity to be much easier to achieve with basic neck tension and no crimp. I'm currently shooting 125HHT bullets in my Creedmoor. I'm using .002" NT (using a mandrel) and no crimp. My current load is shooting about 1.5" @ 400yds.

IMO - it is best to test these bullets without any crimp and then try using a crimp to see if accuracy or SD is improved. If not, then you've just saved yourself an unnecessary step in the reloading process.

Last edited:
I will add that a crimp don't need to be tight crimps.Butter Bean did a nice video on crimping and said the crimp is light but beleive me it is there.
I bought a magnifying glass and checked!A light crimp was there.I stopped hard tight crimps on all rifles and just use a light crimp
Haven't tried crimping as yet and probably never will as I'm getting great groups with hammer bullets without it. I now run an expander in all my cases no matter the cartridge. This ensures identical or close as possible neck tension on each round.

I will add that a crimp don't need to be tight crimps.Butter Bean did a nice video on crimping and said the crimp is light but beleive me it is there.
I bought a magnifying glass and checked!A light crimp was there.I stopped hard tight crimps on all rifles and just use a light crimp
I had seen that info on the other forum and as such, was doing a 1/8 crimp. But, since I was seating the bullets so a valley was at the end of the neck, I was questioning if such a light crimp would have any effect at all. The crimp isn't even touching the bullet, let alone putting even the slightest pressure on it. Hopefully it's still providing the desired effect 🤷‍♂️

Finally got out to test the 138Gr HHT a little more and this time with my can. Ran 3001FPS with .342 with BENCHMARK powder. COAL 2.160. Work up to that load.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2024-07-12 12_42_18.263820.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-07-12 12_42_18.263820.png
    511.6 KB · Views: 25