Just loaded my first Hammer....concerned.

MELEX

79361d78-1115-477b-bc6e-abc9994d364b.jpg
I just loaded my first Hammer HHT, and I am concerned about the case mouth not being supported by the bullet as well as neck only making contact on two narrow rings of the bullet. Seems as though the rounds will be very sensitive to rough use, or recoil while I'm the gun.

View attachment 600635I just loaded my first Hammer HHT, and I am concerned about the case mouth not being supported by the bullet as well as neck only making contact on two narrow rings of the bullet. Seems as though the rounds will be very sensitive to rough use, or recoil while I'm the gun.

I've been using Barnes monos for many years with the same/similar groove design. My rifle has a great deal of recoil…..they ain't mov'n!

In fact, before going to the Barnes, the lead tip on conventional cup and core bullets at the bottom of the magazine (3 rounds previously fired) were so badly flattened (about 1/8" to 3/16" in dia.) I almost expected to see the jacket to start opening! 😉 memtb

You only need .002 - .004 neck tension to hold the bullet, do you know what you currently have, if concerned you could neck them down a bit more.
How is that accomplished. Using a custom Hornady die. I know I can adjust for a crimp, but obviously that is not going to work.

2 drive bands engaged inside the neck is all ya need.

It appears you are good to go, @MELEX

If you want to make extra sure, consider adding a crimp. LEE FCD is popular among many of the Hammer shooters. Great way to ensure the bullet stays put during recoil in the magazine and can offer some fine tuning benefit to accuracy.

Since I took the time to read all the posts, I'll just add that you've got nothing to worry about. Here are a few pics of hunting rounds that shoot well, and hold up to field abuse in my rifles

Attachments

• 20240906_112145.jpg
    20240906_112145.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 20240519_082946.jpg
    20240519_082946.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 325
I agree with the others stating don't worry about it. I'm limited on my rifles with seating the bullets long. Most end up seated with case mouth in between the bands. I'm running .02 neck tension (Redding bushing die) and never had a problem with bullet movement. I tried the crimp die method for a while, but really did not see any difference on paper. I only crimp bullets on very high recoiling cartridges (ie., SW500).

Recent Posts