Is your favorite rifle custom made or factory made ? I have a close tie

My second favorite is 1954 Simson. 12g single over 8x57R 24" Barrels and second set of barrels is 29.5" 12g over 12g full and modified. Claw mounted Kahles Helia 1.5-6x42 scope with European duplex reticle

Don't be bringing that pretty wood and engraved steel in here!

How dare you insult us and make us feel poor 🤣

Many of you have some really nice guns!

I don't have anything near custom. Mine are factory rifles. Most of them are favorites because of the fond memories of hunting with them. For example, my dad bought as Win 70 25.06 at Gibson's around 1980. The three of us have killed countless deer, pigs, coyotes with it, and some elk, until about 2000. I don't even know if it is sub-moa, as I have not shot it in a long time. My dad still uses it to kill coyotes and pigs on the farm. I have a factory Sako in 25.06 that I have a history with. I love it as well. It is a sub-moa rifle but nothing particularly special about it other than it has killed a lot of critters. My oldest son has Savage 243. Again, nothing special but it has killed three really nice bucks. My middle son has a Browning 270 A bolt. It has killed some nice deer and two really nice elk. I would not sell any of the above just because of the memories. None of them are collectible or particularly attractive, just associated with lots of good memories.

Definition of "custom" varies from country to country. Many call a rifle assembled by GS of various sourced parts a "custom" Tell that to a "custom" rifle builder in London and he will laugh you out of his shop. Just sayin....
Agreed. I don't care for the term "custom" the way it's loosely thrown around. I prefer boutique build.

I try to acquire rifles, and pistols, the model and caliber have a track record about being accurate so if "they miss" is because of myself. And work on making myself better.

I am also interested in reloading. Just beginning to find an intuitive process going on where I feel an affinity to each cartridge and each shot. Knowing that this tiny piece of metal can go hundreds of yards and do my bidding. It ia a real Zen moment.

Hard to describe, but I think that others may feel the same thing.

The "oneness" in the entire process?

I prefer the term "Bespoke" to describe my handmade rifles. Even though they all have been built on trued blueprinted factory actions, they are all a huge jump from a factory bought rifle.
Bespoke chambers, twists, barrel lengths and magazine alterations are all non factory and they shoot exactly how I built them too.
Even the stocks are not factory, they are bedded and fitted as they should be, even my Ruger M77 MK II in 25-06 has gotten all the trimmings including stock bedding upgraded with Timney trigger set exactly at 2lbs.

Cheers.

Bespoke 1750s Swiss Jaeger rifle, .70cal as most of these custom made, original survivors. Perfect condition. I still shoot it.

In the early 1800s it was the original sidelock was converted from flint to percussion caps the latest technology at that time.

I am not a good shot, but it still made a 3" four shot group at 75yds. With .70 cal you could see the holes with no spotter scope.

The previous owner over 50 years won many matches, killed elk and moose, for plinking he shot heads off grouse. It was his go-to gun.

He thinks it fought in the American Revolution in the hands of the Hessians against the British.

Age caught up with him and decided to pass it on. It took me two weeks to let him sell it to me. He had to be sure I would be an appropriate caretaker. He felt it, with care, it would still be shooting for the next 100years.

It has a wingnut on the left side to remove the sidelock for easy cleaning. Note the support in front of the trigger guard where it might have been for a rampart or "wall" gun. Long range sniper. Also the stock is fiddleback English walnut in perfect condition as well as the mechanicals.

Attachments

• Swiss Jaeger.JPG
    Swiss Jaeger.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 18
  • wing bolt.jpg
    wing bolt.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1770 sw.JPG
    IMG_1770 sw.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I got a custom but I had to sell it because I liked it too much and it made my other rifles feel clunky. I am happy with my tikkas though

I just really, really like the Model 70. I have two -- one was my dad's. It's in "270 W.C.F." and I think it is from the 1950s.

The other is one I fell in love with when I saw it in the store. It's in 7mm S.T.W. and I honestly wish I hadn't bought it, but how can you fight such love?

Last edited:
My Favorite rifle is a custom made LR-1000 from Gunwerks in 7LRM. It fits me like a glove and it shoots so well that its very hard to leave home for a hunting trip without it. A couple of years ago I picked up another Gunwerks in a ClymR (6.5 PRC) and its working its way up the ladder pretty quickly. Its a little lighter and has a nicer scope on it.