Is this too high?

The higher the scope height, scope elevation adjustment to be on target will slightly decrease at longer ranges. Bullet ballistics will be unchanged but configuration of trajectory will be slightly changed like 4-5 inches at 500 yards per 1 inch scope height. Hard to describe but look at triangles & do trig. Bullet will be directed at an increased upward angle.

AR type rifles have high mounted scopes required by stock configuration containing big spring inline with bolt carrier.

Seen some rifles with layers of padding duct taped to stock comb, sort of looks tacky.

I replaced the Talley lightweight rings on my Weatherby FiberMark with a Murphy precision pic rail and medium Ken Farrel rings. The scope looks the same height as yours, but cheek weld is perfect and the height is perfect. As others have stated, it depends what works for you, and it might not look right compared to others. I would rather mount it according to functionality and not looks.

edited: I actually have the Standard Ken Farrel rings, not the med height

Last edited:
I replaced the Talley lightweight rings on my Weatherby FiberMark with a pic rail and medium Ken Farrel rings. The scope looks the same height as yours, but cheek weld is perfect and the height is perfect. As others have stated, it depends what works for you, and it might not look right. I would rather mount it according to functionality and not looks.
To me, the balance is messed up mounting that high. Feels top heavy with the pic/ring combo. I took the scope off and am getting some lower ones to curb that. As a previous comment said, I should be able to get a good cheek weld without a pack. I don't have a high comb, so it just needs to be lower

I'm still looking at it, and even if you lower it a half inch, it won't really "look" that much lower. And a half inch is an awful lot to lower it. The rail system seems to mount them higher, but the rail and ring system you have now is much more durable than the Talley lightweights you are thinking about. There are quite a few threads about the Talley lightweights failing.
I know you tried it a hundred times, but stand up, get a comfortable shooting position, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle until it feels right. THEN open your eyes and see if the scope is mounted too high or too low.

Looks like lots of $$ can be harvested by scope ring makers.

Some times I plane off top of laminated/wood comb real flat & even, then glue/screw(cut off heads & file flush with top) another piece of nice wood on top, then rasp down to what fits good. Can't do that with my AR.

It's literally middled on the receiver. Eye relief is 5" on low mag and 3.7 on high.
Where it is in relation to the receiver is of no concern. With 3.7" eye relief your head would need to be way back on the stock for your eye to be at or near the back edge of the eye box the way you have it set now. Maybe your stock is too long for you. I think you need to visit a stock fitter. Competitive shotgunners understand all this, rifle shooters not so much.