Is the "Tax stamp" a three page document?

bluedog69

So is the "stamp" the entire 3 page "Approved" form?
Is this what you are supposed to keep with the suppressor?
Just got my two cans this summer and want to make sure I have stuff
with me when hunting this fall.

I have photos of my stamps saved in my phone.
I have taken them out of my home state to neighboring states for hunting (where they are legal).
I have been stopped almost every year by Game & Fish of various states.
I have never been asked to see the documents by any LEO.
I do too. It's what the e-copies are for.😂

According the Sheriif I spoke to last year, when ATF sends them a copy, they shred them. They do not track them because they are legal to own.

I also carry digital copies on my phone, as well reduced size copies in my wallet.

Like Lance, I've been checked in the field while hunting by multiple Wardens in multiple states (where suppressors are legal), as well as a couple of Sheriff's Deputies in a few states (also while in the field), and I've never been asked for any documentation on the cans.

The only place I've ever been asked to show documentation on a suppressor, was at a shooting range in Tacoma, WA. The RO asked me, then demanded, I show him the documents on my can. When I told him I'd gladly produce documents as soon as he produced a badge, he threatened to call the Sheriff. I packed up my stuff and haven't been back to said "NRA Range facility".

I have a copy of my trust and stamp in the case where my suppressor resides when not in use, I carry a miniaturized copy at all times on my person of the trust & stamp. It's laminated and fits in one of the small license envelopes sporting stores give us when we get a license here in Texas, I have copies on my laptop, phone, iPad and saved in multiple electronic venues all secure and several of the saved files are encrypted.

When they glance at it, they'll see right away if it's a commercially manufactured suppressor or home build.
They've never asked around here to see tax stamps but I know one couple that got busted with homemade mag light suppressors that weren't registered.
They ticketed them, confiscated the suppressors and said ATF would be coming.
They did come and slap them on the hand and left never to be seen again.
I think they paid a $500 or so fine.

ATTENTION!!!
I am not condoning this as being ok to do and being the norm!!

For what it's worth, since they are tax documents, police can't actually ask to inspect the documents. Only a member of the IRS or the ATF can legally ask to inspect your documents. If police suspect what you own is illegal they can call the ATF and research it, but they technically can't inspect it themselves. In actuality that's gonna get weird, as most police don't know all of their own laws let alone federal laws.

If your state has laws against suppressors already then it turns into a different conversation altogether. But if your state is friendly to cans, you should never be asked to produce documentation about it. Now, you are still required to carry proof of the stamp just in case, and it will likely be easiest to just provide the stamp when asked about it rather than fight about what they can/can't ask you for.

I know if I'm ever asked to produce documents proving my right to possess a suppressor I'll gladly and quickly furnish them. Not doing so will likely get you opened up for further scrutiny and suspicion.

What's the big deal? I mean really what does it hurt? We show ID at banks, stores, and many other places we go and if you think it's an invasion of privacy you might remember that there simply is NO privacy any more. We are so open to invasions of privacy that its constant and unavoidable. Cameras everywhere and every time you use a credit card or write a check it goes into the huge data bases. Your license tag on your vehicle is recorded countless times every day. They track smart phones almost everywhere.

We use to say "big brother is watching" now everyone that wants to is watching and there is almost nothing we can do about it.

Trying NOT to stand out and NOT acting like you have something to hide is probably one of the best ways to avoid scrutiny and further invasions of your privacy.

Just saying....

I know if I'm ever asked to produce documents proving my right to possess a suppressor I'll gladly and quickly furnish them. Not doing so will likely get you opened up for further scrutiny and suspicion.

What's the big deal? I mean really what does it hurt? We show ID at banks, stores, and many other places we go and if you think it's an invasion of privacy you might remember that there simply is NO privacy any more. We are so open to invasions of privacy that its constant and unavoidable. Cameras everywhere and every time you use a credit card or write a check it goes into the huge data bases. Your license tag on your vehicle is recorded countless times every day. They track smart phones almost everywhere.

We use to say "big brother is watching" now everyone that wants to is watching and there is almost nothing we can do about it.

Trying NOT to stand out and NOT acting like you have something to hide is probably one of the best ways to avoid scrutiny and further invasions of your privacy.

Just saying....
Kind of understand what you are saying but the opposite side of that coin is that if folks don't push back a little every now and then, the audacity of the bureaucracy grows unchecked. I'm a NFA dealer and what Marksman1941 said is accurate. Would I have issues if a Game Warden wanted to see my stamp? Nope. Would I have stood my ground with the gun range WA Coyote mentioned? Yep and then some. I would gladly wait for the Sheriff and give him/her the chance to either set the RSO right or publicly open their department for a bit of education/litigation. I also have my ATF IOI on speed dial so there's that side as well, so…

When you go through the gate of a "Range", you are agreeing to the rules of said "Range". If the Rules of that Range state that you must have all required documents while using a suppressor, then you would be required to do so. The range I am a member of has that rule. I agreed to it when I joined, therefore I don't see a viable argument.

If an LEO asks to see my stamp info I'll gladly provide it, as a courtesy, even though they technically don't have the authority to ask for it.

The viable argument about the "range" is simple: they can have their rule stating that you have to obey the law, but who the heck are they to demand you to produce said paperwork to some random RO, especially when they have no way of verifying its authenticity?

There are State and Federal laws prohibiting felons from possessing guns. Do they run everyone's criminal background to ensure there are no felons using their range? Certainly not.

I also believe it's illegal in all states to steal a gun. Do they run every firearm through a database to ensure it isn't stolen? Again, certainly not.

So, at some point there is an expectation that we adhere to a system of honor. Why single out those being courteous enough to own and use suppressors?