Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

All those calibers are will take a white Tail I think more white Tails have been Taken with the 30.30 more than anything else or the side arm that you might be carrying when you're so close any movement might give you're position away.
6.MM Creedmoor .243 are a close match I got a 6mm first a Remington 700 BDL and I put a lot rounds down range and it would definitely drop coyotes ground hog and white tail where they stand I wouldn't shoot it more than 400 yards I had at the time several commercials rifles at my disposal that were flat and fast and would get out past 400 but I found that the .257 Weatherby Magnum was the best with a 100 gr Swift Scirocco zero 200yard B/C .429(G1) or a 110gr Hornady ELD-X B-C.465. 115gr Nosler ballistic tip All 3 are Carrying velocity @ 2400/2300/2360(FPS) @500 yards and plenty of energy 1326/1390/1422 FT-LB' T will Drop just about anything like a sack of potatoes and keep going..
The .280 Ackley improved 150 Swift sirocco with a (BC) of .515 (G1) with a muzzle velocity close to 3000fps and energy 1450 fl/lb @500 yards
I would have to say that these are just 2 of my favorite calibers I would grab first out of the rack. My 1974 Ruger custom .280 Ackley improved I received on my 9th birthday is a much loved rifle it will bring home dinner
IMG_2622.jpeg
IMG_2622.jpeg
IMG_2618.jpeg
IMG_2619.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2620.jpeg
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
I have taken whitey with calibers from .22 through .500. The larger diameters are more decisive above .35. The 25-06 seems more than a .243 on deer. The .26s are certainly more. But then so is recoil. The .22s are leas than the .243.
I shot a lot of deer in my youth with a .338 win and various partitions. The 308 with an interlock is equal and less recoil. Not so on elk though. But I prefer .35 and up for elk. Mind I try to be close. None of my 35s get long range use.

I prefer a harder expander in the 243 with front shoulder shots, like the hornady 87 hpbt. It is not a varmint bullet as one may suspect, but a jacket-nosed deep penetrator that I havent yet found in an animal yet. Or the 90 ballistic tip for meat saver shots, or quartering away.

But when the time comes to grab a rifle, i usually go bigger than .24. When the day comes that recoil is a bigger factor, count me in on the .243 train. It is enough.

A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
It's not that the 243 can't do the job, it can. What if you run into something that intends to eat you? I hope you carry a hand cannon for backup.

It's not that the 243 can't do the job, it can. What if you run into something that intends to eat you? I hope you carry a hand cannon for backup.
Up north or out west for sure, I mostly hunt in MO and anything in our woods can be taken with a 243 and you should be able to defend yourself against anything including black bears and cougars with a 243 single shot. Now if a pack of cougars corners you, have a credit card handy and you'll be fine…

Up north or out west for sure, I mostly hunt in MO and anything in our woods can be taken with a 243 and you should be able to defend yourself against anything including black bears and cougars with a 243 single shot. Now if a pack of cougars corners you, have a credit card handy and you'll be fine…
I know a husband and wife hunting duo that walked up on a very ****ed off cougar and cubs feeding on a fresh kill. The cougar startled and charged, and the wife shot the cougar 2 times within 75 feet and it made it 6 feet from her feet before it fell. Both shots with a .243. DNR was called and took the cubs (2) and removed the body. No charges were filed. The wife told me she changed her shorts after that. There were lots of discussions about the incident for quite some time afterwards, but mostly Monday morning quarterback stuff. 😴 Not sure a big caliber pistol would have helped in this situation because of the close proximity. Lessons learned. I always carry a large caliber pistol when I go hunting. No telling what I may find. Besides, my wife would beat me to pieces if I got myself eaten!😉

That's Fantastic shooting on her part 👏👏👏🥳,cougars are fast, I've seen one in the wild ,it was coming up the back of a small hill at the head of the draw ,I was on top looking down the draw at 35 yards I snapped my rifle to shoulder and flipped the safety off,it's metalic sound alerted the cougar and it covered 190yards in seconds running away .cheers

I know a husband and wife hunting duo that walked up on a very ****ed off cougar and cubs feeding on a fresh kill. The cougar startled and charged, and the wife shot the cougar 2 times within 75 feet and it made it 6 feet from her feet before it fell. Both shots with a .243. DNR was called and took the cubs (2) and removed the body. No charges were filed. The wife told me she changed her shorts after that. There were lots of discussions about the incident for quite some time afterwards, but mostly Monday morning quarterback stuff. 😴 Not sure a big caliber pistol would have helped in this situation because of the close proximity. Lessons learned. I always carry a large caliber pistol when I go hunting. No telling what I may find. Besides, my wife would beat me to pieces if I got myself eaten!😉
I would wager the only thing better for that situation is an AR

All those calibers are will take a white Tail I think more white Tails have been Taken with the 30.30 more than anything else or the side arm that you might be carrying when you're so close any movement might give you're position away.
6.MM Creedmoor .243 are a close match I got a 6mm first a Remington 700 BDL and I put a lot rounds down range and it would definitely drop coyotes ground hog and white tail where they stand I wouldn't shoot it more than 400 yards I had at the time several commercials rifles at my disposal that were flat and fast and would get out past 400 but I found that the .257 Weatherby Magnum was the best with a 100 gr Swift Scirocco zero 200yard B/C .429(G1) or a 110gr Hornady ELD-X B-C.465. 115gr Nosler ballistic tip All 3 are Carrying velocity @ 2400/2300/2360(FPS) @500 yards and plenty of energy 1326/1390/1422 FT-LB' T will Drop just about anything like a sack of potatoes and keep going..
The .280 Ackley improved 150 Swift sirocco with a (BC) of .515 (G1) with a muzzle velocity close to 3000fps and energy 1450 fl/lb @500 yards
I would have to say that these are just 2 of my favorite calibers I would grab first out of the rack. My 1974 Ruger custom .280 Ackley improved I received on my 9th birthday is a much loved rifle it will bring home dinner View attachment 485986View attachment 485986View attachment 485987View attachment 485988
The answer is no it's not the best just my personal opinion

A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
Nope. The 280Rem is the best all time deer cartridge. Final answer

No.

😂

Ok, seriously though the 243 is a great deer cartridge. I've got one in a Tikka I've used for predators and deer and it's great. Lightweight AND low recoil. My boys will use it or a 6.5 CM for their first deer based mostly on whether they prefer a Tikka or a Sig Cross. There are few reasons to use anything smaller/less powerful than a 243 on big game IMHO.

OTOH, I've drank the kool aid and come to prefer heavy for caliber bullets of 90 gr and up running 2700-3100 fps in a fast twist barrel. My brother-in-law has a 257 Weatherby and it's great. However, I prefer a more moderate velocity that is unlikely to result in bullet failure/blowup and with heavy for caliber bullets should reliably penetrate.

Shot placement > penetration > catastrophic expansion IMO. YMMV. I've had good luck with a 95gr SST out of my 243, but most of my game has been taken with a 162gr ELDX out of my 7 RM.