Is a 9lb rifle too heavy? Opinions?

Just another though if a light rifle is what you want. I built an extremely light rifle for hunting the dark timber and the shots would be under 100 yards and the light weight would not hurt the performance. The rifle was built on a Model 7 Remington and the goal was to stay under 6 lbs.

I can get almost 3000 ft/sec using a 200 grain 338 bullet and 2900 with a 225 grain bullet. the down side was/is it is not for the faint of heart with 53.7 ft/lbs of recoil. with a tuned brake, I was able to drop recoil to a reasonable 23.1 ft/lbs of recoil.

My long range 338 produces 30.9 ft/lbs recoil and 11.1 with a brake. with almost the same velocity and bullet combo.

So your combo at 9 pounds should be plesent and accurate.

J E CUSTOM

Personally, I find anything in the 8.5 -9lbs range is the perfect balance between stable/accurate shooting & comfortable all-day-carry weight.
As a great Iranian sheep hunter once said, better to lose a couple of pounds off your own weight, than carry a rifle that's too light to make a long shot, when you need to.

I don't think I'm keeping up with this conversation. If a rifle keeps its shots about .8MOA in hunting situation, what difference does it make if it is lighter?

The difference is the shooters ability to compensate for the effects of a light weight rifle.

If two rifles shoot 1/2 MOA off a bench the chances of both of them shooting the same out of position or off hand. this is where the heavier rifle gives an advantage to the shooter.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts