• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Iowa hunting land wanted to buy... cash....

Jim See

LRH Sponsor
I know this is probably a long shot but I am looking for some ground in Iowa. I just sold a big parcel of land in Oklahoma and am looking to roll it over and avoid capitol gains tax.
let me know what you have. PM is great.

I would have to find the listing agent but the was a good size piece just outside farragut on the river that would be an amazing place to hunt. If you look up the town it would be 1 mile north and 1 mile west. Mostly hunting with a few farmable acres.

Fremont county, Robert welchans is the owner. You can see the ground on beacon.

Disregard, I had a big post about non-residents buying land in Iowa to hunt but I see by your avatar you are located in Iowa... my cousin had some ground for sale over near Ames but he ended up getting that sold.

Last edited:
Disregard, I had a big post about non-residents buying land in Iowa to hunt but I see by your avatar you are located in Iowa... my cousin had some ground for sale over near Ames but he ended up getting that sold.
I was in Oklahoma for 2 years and bought land while I was there. Finally sold it after 5 years of going back to hunt it every year.
I figure I'll be staying put in Iowa for a good amount of time and was time to find something here.

call Gabe Adair from Whitetail Properties. I've bought and sold 4 different farms in Decatur and Clarke counties and Gabe has served my interests extremely well.
I live in Va and got bit by the Midwest big buck fever about 15 yrs ago. The Iowa land purchases have been the best investments I've ever made.....and I manage investments for a living.
I'm happy to give u some insight from the many years of exp.
Shoot me a PM if u like.

South central to Southeast is where the majority of the real Giants are taken. Don't get me wrong, there are lot of nice 160-180" bucks shot elsewhere, but the sheer number of bucks over 200" that I've seen taken in a 10 mile radius is just silly.
And, trust me, for every Giant that u see taken in magazines and videos there are 3 or 4 of the same caliber that get harvested and it's kept very quiet.
My farm is sandwiched b/t two owners who are very well known and have TV shows. Every mega buck they shoot gets tons of press. But I know a handful of guys that shoot 200" class bucks regularly (meaning one every 2-3 yrs), and if I didn't know them personally I'd have no clue.
Took a 216" off my old farm right before I sold it, and in the 6 yrs I owned it there were 3 bucks shot within a mile or so that were bigger.
Ive chased whitetails all over the US and Canada for 25 yrs, and I've never seen a region that compares.
The prices are starting to really go vertical though. Still, u can pick up a nice Tract that has decent income and hunts good for $3300-3500/acre.
One word of advice, If I had it to do all over again, I would have kept my previous farm. It was in a good area but not known for having celebrity landowners. My realtor and friend owned the 680 acres beside me and together we controlled around 2000acres.....half of it leased. We were the only ones who left corn and beans standing for the deer, and put in other plots of turnips and clover......that place rocked.
I sold b/c the timing was right to demand a premium and bought the place I have now. Let me just say that for a guy like me, it's impossible to keep up with Drury and the Lindsays. They have an unlimited budget and amount of time. And work 24/7 on every food plot known to man, and habitat improvement. It's crazy but their deer herd almost act like high fence deer.....their home range is very small. Anyway, I would choose a place that u can improve the hunting and ultimately you'll sell it for a lot more. Happy hunting.