Insulated Crispi’s

idcwby

After hunting this year with my Danners, I decided I need to get some better quality insulated boots. I'm 90% sure I'm going with Crispis because I've been having good luck with their non-insulated boots. I was just going to get a pair of the Wild Rock GTX and than I seen Scheels has the West River and since there isn't a Scheels close to me, can't look at the boot to see what the differences are between it and the Wild Rock. Anyone got any experience with either boot?

I've used the 400g wild rock GTX's extensively in late season hunts. They are awesome. Your feet will still get cold in them after about an hour of stationary glassing in 10 degree or colder weather. But for a semi active late season hunt, I don't think you can beat them. Size up a 1/2 or probably a full size to have room to trap warm air and wear thicker socks.

I have insulated Nevadas. I wear them in all season with no issue as long as I wear a good merino wool sock. If I wear cotton or cheaper socks when it is hot my feet get swampy.

I wasn't sure I made the right choice with insulated version in AZ, but with good socks it is all good.

If no one is able to answer your question then calling them would probably be very informative. Crispi has been super helpful and easy to reach when I have called to get their take on the differences between some of their boots.

I've used the 400g wild rock GTX's extensively in late season hunts. They are awesome. Your feet will still get cold in them after about an hour of stationary glassing in 10 degree or colder weather. But for a semi active late season hunt, I don't think you can beat them. Size up a 1/2 or probably a full size to have room to trap warm air and wear thicker socks.
The only thing that I did with my wild rocks is change the insole. I wear wool socks and have not had a issue with feet getting cold or swampy. Virtually no break in just go. They don't leak and give me all the support that I need.

^^^ THIS ^^^^ I changed the insoles to Super Feet Grey. They have a wool type covering, and supposedly increase the insulation factor of your boots due to the wool. I think they work as advertised. I hunted this past season in the snow with Kenetrek wool socks, and my feet never got cold. I got my Wild Rocks from Black Ovis, they are excellent to deal with. The Wild Rock are the fourth pair of Crispis I have, and are extremely comfortable, completely waterproof, and offer plenty of support. My other Crispis (Hunter, Wyomings, and Idahos) are now backup to the Wild Rocks.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the Scheels West River and really like them. Extremely comfortable. I am not sure if they would gold up as well to extensive hiking / mountain hunting as the Crispi Guides or the Kenetreks - but they are perfect for my use. I have tried Danners and much prefer the Crispis.

I have the Guides and love them
What a couple weeks and Blackovis will have a good sale

I have the 400g wild rocks. 1/2 size up from my regular boots. I love them. Put different insoles in. They're a really nice boot, I've got hundreds of miles on mine. No failure yet, still waterproof.

I have a pair of the Scheels West River and really like them. Extremely comfortable. I am not sure if they would gold up as well to extensive hiking / mountain hunting as the Crispi Guides or the Kenetreks - but they are perfect for my use. I have tried Danners and much prefer the Crispis.
Why don't you think they will hold up to the Guides?