Indoor pigeons

I've shot quite a few farm/barn pigeons and used to shoot them in a big factory at night by the feed sack full.

After shooting literally hundreds, I prefer a 5mm or .22 air rifle due to the way the .177 pellets zip right through the bird.

I have an RWS/Diana .177 that shoots about 950 fps and a Beeman 5mm that shoots about 850 fps.

The Beeman gets noticeable faster and more decisive results and there's never a question whether the bird is hit. With the .177, I have shot many birds dead-center in the chest and had them walk a few feet and stand there 10 seconds before falling out.

Almost any good quality air rifle/pellet combo should be fine for inside 25 yards.

Kernal,

the amount of money you can sink into airgunning is surprisingly large — top tier guns of the PCP variety going for $2000 and more.
Add to that the accessories for air supply and you have another $1000 on your bill.
It's a deep, deep hole. Ask me how I know..... 😆

However, if you're just looking for a tool to do the job at 25 yards, and move on — then you can do much cheaper.
A $100 break barrel airgun from Beeman, Hatsan, Gamo, Stoeger, Norica, or another brand will do OK.

If you want something more consistent and better quality, you can double that, or cuadruple that (for a high end break barrel or side lever from Diana, Weihrauch, or AirArms).

Here is a link to one of the big online sellers:
They also happen to give you most of the specs of the guns.

🔶 Using Scopes on Springers:
⚠️ Note that spring airguns (steel springs, or gas piston springs) have a double recoil (back and forth) that is very harsh on scopes.
Scopes therefore must be certified for spring airguns — and a magnum springer might still break it eventually. ➧ Moral is to only put scopes on a springer that have a good warranty.

🔶 Caliber:
.22cal makes bigger holes than .177.
For a mid- or low-powered spring gun there might be some holdover required, but your ranges of 25y are pretty short. No big deal.
.177cal pellets are real tiny to handle with big fingers.....

🔶 Pellets:
Every barrel is different, so you'll have to find the pellet(s) that your particular gun likes.
However, at ranges of only 25y on somewhat large targets (pigeons) thi shouldn't be too difficult.

Recommended pellet shapes are round heads (domes) (best BC, and suitable for stronger guns).
Hollow points will only expand in the lil'birdies if they impact at very high velocities — which is negated by their low BC.
Wadcutters make good holes, but most wadcutters are light weight — and if you have a magnum power springer they might loose precision (close to the speed of sound!). The heaviest wadcutter is the JTS Dead Center wadcutter at 18.8gr — which won't run the danger of going too fast.

Happy pigeon killing! It is well worth your time and money to clean the earth of those rats with wings! 😆

Matthias

A 22 cal air rifle pellet will pass through 1/2" plywood at 20 yards. They usually pass completely through gophers, pigeons or squirrels as they don't expand much. If they will let you use it, I would use a 22RF with CCI long or long rifle Quiet Segmented ammo. They are 40 grain HP that segment on impact, travelling at 700 fps. This ammo, like some short ammo, is actually quieter than most springer air rifles, and body shots with the round rarely exit. They also kill a lot faster and are accurate to about 35 yards. Try them on pigeons or gophers outdoors and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
The Crosman 1322 or 1377 are surprisingly accurate and powerful multi pump pistols that can be had new for under $60. I have used mine for numerous indoor vermin control situations. There are lots of accessories that can be 3D printed for them as well. Scope rails and very effective suppressors being the first that come to mind. You can suppress any air gun as they are not regulated by the ATF.
Here's a nice 22 cal kit that would get you started for a little over $100. https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-1322-Pistol-Premier-Shooters/dp/B0086PENTK
Good luck and have fun. Airguns can be addictive!

Recent Posts