Imr4350 imr7828 h1000 powders

IMR 7828 and IMR 7828 SSC have the same exact burn rate. The reason there is a short cut powder, is for cartridges that you are using a compressed load, to get more in it, without having to sacrifice room for seating depth of the bullet in the case. Nothing more, nothing less. For all intents and purposes, they are the same. Even according to IMR, the load data is interchangeable for them.
they may have the same burn rate, but they will seldom produce the same accuracy with a given combination... A buddy was conned into buying some ssc for his 300roy when the lgs didn't have long cut on the shelf... A few groups later looking like we were taking after the target with a shotgun and he got the hint to buy exactly what I asked him to buy; not just kinda , sorta do it...

they may have the same burn rate, but they will seldom produce the same accuracy with a given combination... A buddy was conned into buying some ssc for his 300roy when the lgs didn't have long cut on the shelf... A few groups later looking like we were taking after the target with a shotgun and he got the hint to buy exactly what I asked him to buy; not just kinda , sorta do it...

I wouldn't say "conned"... I mean, even the manufacturer (IMR) says the load data is interchangeable. My guess would be the lot-to-lot burn rate was inconsistent, or the shorter cut powder did not fill the case as full and somehow caused some affect that way? Something was different, but it's not like you can really expect lot-to-lot consistency to be perfect every time, especially between 2 different model powders.

http://www.imrpowder.com/imr7828ssc.html

I wouldn't say "conned"... I mean, even the manufacturer (IMR) says the load data is interchangeable. My guess would be the lot-to-lot burn rate was inconsistent, or the shorter cut powder did not fill the case as full and somehow caused some affect that way? Something was different, but it's not like you can really expect lot-to-lot consistency to be perfect every time, especially between 2 different model powders.

IMR Powder Profiles: IMR 7828

Muddy, the rifle is a mk5 accumark... you and I both know how much of a p.i.t.b. those can be. I suspect some rifles may not notice the difference, but this one turned green and puked...

Muddy, the rifle is a mk5 accumark... you and I both know how much of a p.i.t.b. those can be. I suspect some rifles may not notice the difference, but this one turned green and puked...

:D This is true...Very true. They seem to be VERY picky. Since my ordeal, I've talked to several others locally who had similar experiences of them being picky (none with the same issue mine had, as I think that was maybe an isolated incident) but still the general consensus is they are picky. One that shoots is one that shoots well, and one that is picky will always be a pain in the butt. :D

I've had other brand rifles that were very picky. My old Ruger M77 MKII 7mm RemMag (from the 90's) is that way. It seems to prefer RL-19, RL-22 and 160 grain or lighter bullets. It does not seem to like heavy-ish bullets or slow powders. My original A-Bolt II 7mm RemMag barrel did not like anything heavier than a 168 Berger. Threw in some 180's and it patterned like buckshot at 100 yards.

So far the H1000 and the IMR7828ssc seem to be the powder this 257wby likes. At 100 yards using 115gr nosler ballistic tip and 71.5 grain of H1000 I thought that was gonna be the load the gun liked compared to the IMR4350. Shooting 2 three shot groups at 100 yards, 1 Group of 3 with the IMR4350 was about a 1 inch group but with the H1000 3 shot group, all 3 shots were touching. But grouping at 200 yards was a right big diffrence. The group opened up and fell way more than I expected. So I bought some IMR7828ssc and loaded 5 rounds using the same 115gr nosler ballistic tip bullets and 69gr of the 7828, 5 rounds with 69gr of H1000 and then 5 more rounds but with 73gr of H1000. What I found was the 7828ssc had the tightest and highest group at 200 yards and the most FPS and that seems to be the ticket with this gun is the FPS. The 69gr H1000 group shot low and wide @3000 FPS. The H1000 73gr of powder group came up and tighter together by about 4 inches @3150 FPS but 69gr of the 7828ssc shot 3350 FPS and at Least 2 inches higher and tighter (2 shots touching) than the 73gr H1000 3150 FPS. Finally found some 110gr accubonds. I think if i can get this gun up to at least 3400 FPS or more is what this gun is gonna like best.. It has a 26 inch barrel so hopefully that's enough time to burn the powder it take to get there..
Thanks everybody for your info

Just my thought on the 7870 and the ssc version. With my 7mm RM, I found I had to use 0.3 grains more of the ssc to match the data and performance of the regular 7870.

I'm pretty sure no one is gonna want to anwser this question so I'm just asking your opinions but if the manuals you've got faith in and have been using they're products for years with good results and they're load data gives good data tells you for examaple, max load for a 257 wby using a 115 gr bullet would be a max of 71.5 gr of H1000 would produce 3300 FPS but produces less, say around 300 FPS less when actually loaded and shot. I'm sure there's a lot of variables that could change things slightly but when I'm using the same barrel length and the same load the manual is and not getting the same results knowing they're aren't gonna be exact with difrrent barrel twist and all the other variables throwed in the circle....So the big question is without getting to crazly heavy handed with the powder, does anyone else step up your powder charge to get the FPS you're trying to get? I've never been able to get exact results for almost all guns I load for but seldom do I drift over the max load suggested but have done it without getting to heavy handed with the powder and always checking for pressure signs...I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one but as long as I'm not backing the primer out or swelling the case should be ok... So far away!:D

I'm pretty sure no one is gonna want to anwser this question so I'm just asking your opinions but if the manuals you've got faith in and have been using they're products for years with good results and they're load data gives good data tells you for examaple, max load for a 257 wby using a 115 gr bullet would be a max of 71.5 gr of H1000 would produce 3300 FPS but produces less, say around 300 FPS less when actually loaded and shot. I'm sure there's a lot of variables that could change things slightly but when I'm using the same barrel length and the same load the manual is and not getting the same results knowing they're aren't gonna be exact with difrrent barrel twist and all the other variables throwed in the circle....So the big question is without getting to crazly heavy handed with the powder, does anyone else step up your powder charge to get the FPS you're trying to get? I've never been able to get exact results for almost all guns I load for but seldom do I drift over the max load suggested but have done it without getting to heavy handed with the powder and always checking for pressure signs...I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one but as long as I'm not backing the primer out or swelling the case should be ok... So far away!:D
You need to be seriously careful if you ever go above book recommendations. It can be done when/if you are really slow with obvious mild pressure, but that is a rabbit hole a beginning reloader shouldn't take. It is far better to find another combination with better performance and similar accuracy at book charges.

Agreed Lefty. This is why I have stuck by the Nosler manuals for the last 25 years and why I'm dropping down to a 110gr bullet instead of a 115gr to get the 3400 FPS that I;m trying to get while sticking to the suggested load that the manual says. Always saftey first and tight groups second.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts