Idaho Badgers

A mounted badger is a pretty cool looking critter....
Those heads are full of teeth...nasty...you don't want to get to close to a badass mad badger coming out of a hole....but i always wanted to find and fresh hole and throw a smoke bomb in it.......dont know what i would do when one come out slashing and mashing those jaws......but hey...live and learn....
Badger pelts are pretty cool also....
Those front feet have some long claws...look neat on beaded necklaces....
very fast diggers.....

I had a badger run out of the hole when I was skinning a antelope once. Up on his hind legs hissing and snapping his jaws. I laughed at him and tried to get him to go away for about 5 minutes. When he kept getting closer, I shot him. One thing about badgers, they are a descendant of the skunk. So they smell like a skunk. It's not horrible, but it's not great either. When I realized how cool he looked I decided to have him mounted. Pretty fascinating animal and a gorgeous mount.

Jayson

I had a badger run out of the hole when I was skinning a antelope once. Up on his hind legs hissing and snapping his jaws. I laughed at him and tried to get him to go away for about 5 minutes. When he kept getting closer, I shot him. One thing about badgers, they are a descendant of the skunk. So they smell like a skunk. It's not horrible, but it's not great either. When I realized how cool he looked I decided to have him mounted. Pretty fascinating animal and a gorgeous mount.

Jayson
During their breeding season they can almost put a skunk to shame as far as stink goes. Especially a big old male badger. I've actually gagged from the smell and if you get it on you it's very hard to get off, you can smell it 3 or 4 days later. I've never had one act real aggressive but I've heard them in the hoe growling and popping their teeth like a bear.

morning, badgers, don't they eat other varmint?
rats, snakes, ground squirrels, gophers.
mother natures life cycle. I read a articule about a farmer
had an abundance of skunks. so the farmer started
killing the skunks around his farm tank. along the
way the farmer noticed his favorite tank started having
an abundance of turtles, guess what , skunks favorite
diet is turtles??? justme gbot tum

morning, badgers, don't they eat other varmint?
rats, snakes, ground squirrels, gophers.
mother natures life cycle. I read a articule about a farmer
had an abundance of skunks. so the farmer started
killing the skunks around his farm tank. along the
way the farmer noticed his favorite tank started having
an abundance of turtles, guess what , skunks favorite
diet is turtles??? justme gbot tum
Yes they do.

Personally, unless they're causing property damage, I leave the badgers alone. I'm long past the point where I think I need to shoot something just because it's moving.
That's entirely up to you. I'm a varmint/predator hunter/shooter and I see nothing at all wrong with shooting them. I have asked ranchers for permission to shoot ground squirrels and when they give it they say "while you're at it, kill every badger you see." There are hundreds, if not thousands of holes out there for live stock to fall in and passably break a leg, and the badgers can completely ruin an irrigation system, causing flooding and all kinds of other problems. if people have a problem with shooting them I don't quite understand why they are on here reading about but, what ever.

That's entirely up to you. I'm a varmint/predator hunter/shooter and I see nothing at all wrong with shooting them. I have asked ranchers for permission to shoot ground squirrels and when they give it they say "while you're at it, kill every badger you see." There are hundreds, if not thousands of holes out there for live stock to fall in and passably break a leg, and the badgers can completely ruin an irrigation system, causing flooding and all kinds of other problems. if people have a problem with shooting them I don't quite understand why they are on here reading about but, what ever.

I get you. Yep, there's thousands of holes (at least). Mostly old but thousands for sure. I'd venture to say that I've stepped in more badger holes than most stock animals. One thing about badgers is that their reproductive rate isn't anything like a ground squirrel or even a coyote. There's not an infinite supply of them. Not saying "you" shouldn't go after them but I've had time to consider my part in things and choose not to unless I've given a good reason. Any problem I might have with it would be like me not liking how another person drives their car. I mostly ignore it and move on. As for me reading about it on a public forum... hey, I'm a varmint hunter too and besides, total agreement isn't a prerequisite to post. To me, shooting badgers is like shooting fish in a barrel. I've skinned, fleshed, stretched and sent to market many a badger. I decided it's way to much work so now I leave them alone. Of course that decision was because I was willing to get my hands dirty and process the animal which helped form my opinion. Like you said, "whatever".

Last edited:
morning,broper nature has its cycles, I did not say I had
a problem with exterminating these vermin. I made a
statement!! I will read what I want! say what I want,
did not need u to tell me what is what!! justme gbot tum

my son works in the sunflower fields here in S.D. and told me they are thick in the fields around here in fact the atv he was riding hit an unseen hole and almost rolled it, so we now have permission to hunt those fields as long as we do not trap them. the farmer has a trapper come in late winter when pelts are good, I think I will get an old big one and have it mounted

Shot my first badger a few weeks ago, have it at the taxidermist now getting mounted. I'm jealous of you getting 25+ in a summer! Much more rare than that where I am in Colorado. Sounds like you have quite the spot.

I live in southern Idaho. When hunting antelope on BLM land around here, noticed the ground looked like it was bombed due to the thousands of holes dug by badgers looking for whistle pigs! Down right dangerous when walking or especially driving an ATV!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.