I need some Alaska advice from residents

If you are interested send me a PM. I can tell you a book that can make your DIY hunt much easier. As many have said above there are a lot of variables and logistitcal issues with Alaskan hunting but a DIY hunt done properly can be one of the most rewarding hunts you can do even when not successful.

I am a Texan and have had much success with DIY hunts in AK. There are avenues to use that will help you find a location, equiptment, etc. I have book that can simplify a lot of this for you. I did my first AK DIY hunt out of necessity by that I mean $$$$. IMO a guided AK moose hunt is the most overpriced hunt a person can pay hard earned money for in North America.......I see some outfitters are up in the $16-18K range now, which is baffling to me. It can be done for pennies compared to that and also with much more satisfaction.......IF YOU are patient, physically able and up for adventure. It is not easy and not for everyone that is for certain.

I am a 20 year US military retiree and in most of the states I was stationed in, that state allowed me to hunt as a resident. Something to do with the soldiers and sailors relief act. and or they just extended me the courtesy to hunt as a resident.
Now I have never hunted Alaska but I can tell you from my inquires and reading that hunting up there is a whole new ball of wax. It is remote, rugged, with extremes in weather that changes at a whim. Alaska has more reported missing people in a year than all other states combined. People go off in the bush and are never ever heard from again. Getting lost, frozen, eaten, what ever, is a very real possibility up there. GET A GUIDE AND BE SAFE. I can not stress this enough. You can get turned around up there real easy in the bush. I retired in Norther B.C. Canada which is a lot like Alaska and when I hunt I always go with a local that knows the area we will be going into and I always carry a GPS. I am not saying that it can't be done as the previous poster was successful in his hunt. Some of us are more knowledgeable in bush craft than others and if you are experienced in the outdoors and know your limitations and are prepared then go for it.

Bring ATV 4WD with Meat Trailer......
Cheaper if you buy in lower 48

300 Win or 338 Win
Good glass

But good tent Cabellas giuide series Alaska is good
Coleman stove .....I like propane

Good pistol ........ruger or SW in 44 mag

Blackpowder moose hunting allowed on Ft Rich

Don't waste your money on a guide

Brown bears population very high around Ft Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts