I Need help finding brass for 6.5 rem mag that I'm building

LkHntr

Hi I am new to this sight looks very interesting I live in Montana and reload and shoot target for hobby now I'm building my second rifle on a rem 700 action 6.5 rem mag now I need to form brass from 350rem ?? Any advice?

Attachments

• P1020751.JPG
    P1020751.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
What route would you recommend me to take? I want some brass that is very consistent
My advice, Build something besides a 6.5 rem mag. Why go through the headache. If you want a magnum short action 6.5, look no further than the Sherman short mag or SST.
https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com
Or contact "Elkaholic" on this forum. Hell of a nice guy to talk to and more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I see. What made you want to build a 6.5 rem? While it was a neat cartridge, it's about obsolete.
The 264 win would be easier to find or make brass for. If you are not afraid of diving into a wildcat, the 7mm blaser mag would be awesome necked down to 6.5mm. Just my $.02.

morning, I built a 6.5 rem. mag. had for 10yrs or more. my build is a
rem. 721 action, bottom metal, bolt face opened. H&S varmint stock,
timmey trigger, warne steel rings and mounts, and 27.5 douglas air gauage barrel
and # 5.5 contour. unless u shoot ALOT 2 100 bags will last a very long time.
make sure to check the barrel twist and the throat length. most smithy's
use short chamber methods. depending on choice of bullets
at various length's the ogive can change the seating depth of
various bullets. this cartridge has the same ballistics as the
270Win. I like this cartridge. there r better, a shooters choice.
if I had known about the 260 Rem. I would have gone the
260AI route. justme gbot tum

I see. What made you want to build a 6.5 rem? While it was a neat cartridge, it's about obsolete.
The 264 win would be easier to find or make brass for. If you are not afraid of diving into a wildcat, the 7mm blaser mag would be awesome necked down to 6.5mm. Just my $.02.
Yeah it's Not a common round, I already shoot a 6.5x284 and thought I might see what this one cranks out for me I also have 264 win brass I'd just need to buy two forming dies according to redding

morning, I built a 6.5 rem. mag. had for 10yrs or more. my build is a
rem. 721 action, bottom metal, bolt face opened. H&S varmint stock,
timmey trigger, warne steel rings and mounts, and 27.5 douglas air gauage barrel
and # 5.5 contour. unless u shoot ALOT 2 100 bags will last a very long time.
make sure to check the barrel twist and the throat length. most smithy's
use short chamber methods. depending on choice of bullets
at various length's the ogive can change the seating depth of
various bullets. this cartridge has the same ballistics as the
270Win. I like this cartridge. there r better, a shooters choice.
if I had known about the 260 Rem. I would have gone the
260AI route. justme gbot tum
Interesting I have 1-8 twist Timney trigger on a beĺl Carlson stock with 26in wilson barrel it was a toss up between 260 or this, my brother shoots the 260 so I went this road for diff

During themed-1960s - I bought one of the early Rem 600s chambered for their 6.5mm magnum round. I shot everything from groundhogs, to ants, to deer. And it was accurate with everything from the 87gr HP to the 120gr factory round.

A 26" barrel would have likely produced 25% more velocity, but the confidence I built with that rifle out-of-the-box with reloads - money couldn't buy!

But both brass and ammo were difficult commodities to come by back then, and it's no different today - so I've never tried to recreate that memory, but I still like Remington's 60s-era creation.

So - do the work and do it right - and you will likely be rewarded, because all of the components available today are much better than they were - more-than 50 years ago!

Remembering - just like boats, every caliber is a compromise. And it's not what you shoot, but where you hit that really matters!