Huskemaw 5-20 LR Rifle Scope

Len, I talked with one of the Best of the West guys the other day who was very friendly and helpful, and asked him if the BC reticle was the only option they had and he said, 'yes, it was the only one', which I assume requires the BC turret since the reticle has no elevation dots or hashes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that this system would be great if you could use it in variety of situations but if we for instance shoot a 210 gr VLD out of a 300 RUM @ 3000' elevation for antelope the bullet drops about 110" @ 800 yds and 205" @ 1000 yds. If we take that combo elk hunting @ 9000" the drops are 103" amd 188" at those distances, for differences of 7" and 17" at those distances and elevations. Those are both very likely senarios. For a lot of guys who aren't hunting in different elevations, I think this is a great system. Having a chart might help for different situations.

In my case, I might prefer one bullet for close to mid range shots and another bullet for LR shots. I think I would be out of luck here unless I swapped turrets in the field.

The question of angle shooting comes up also. Does the BC system compensate for angles?

Thanks, and a great site you have here Len,

Mark

Len, I talked with one of the Best of the West guys the other day who was very friendly and helpful, and asked him if the BC reticle was the only option they had and he said, 'yes, it was the only one', which I assume requires the BC turret since the reticle has no elevation dots or hashes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that this system would be great if you could use it in variety of situations but if we for instance shoot a 210 gr VLD out of a 300 RUM @ 3000' elevation for antelope the bullet drops about 110" @ 800 yds and 205" @ 1000 yds. If we take that combo elk hunting @ 9000" the drops are 103" amd 188" at those distances, for differences of 7" and 17" at those distances and elevations. Those are both very likely senarios. For a lot of guys who aren't hunting in different elevations, I think this is a great system. Having a chart might help for different situations.

In my case, I might prefer one bullet for close to mid range shots and another bullet for LR shots. I think I would be out of luck here unless I swapped turrets in the field.

The question of angle shooting comes up also. Does the BC system compensate for angles?

Thanks, and a great site you have here Len,

Mark
thats why they make different turrets.for situations just like that and if you dont like the price you can use tape.as far as i know their just like kenton industries.

since the reticle has no elevation dots or hashes.

The scope comes with a cap that has the moa's on it. If you keep that one and don't send it in for the compensating one, you have moa's

This responce may be way off track but......

Why don't you just apply the environmental variables and shooting angle to yards instead of MOA or what ever and go with that.

It seems to work for me. I rigged up a BDC turret with spreadsheet, paper and scotch tape and covered the MOA on the turret with it. Seems to work well and its easy to see where it is set at a glance.

Its been good on rocks to 1120 yds and lotsa places in between.

4k'dhorn was promoting this idea a couple of years ago. where'd he go anyway?

Roy, I was thinking along the same lines about adjusting yardage to compensate fr differences in drop. But then it gets more complicated with angle shooting. Just the other day I was up on a hillside and spot a heard of deer about a 1000+ yds away and about a 1000' below us. You're looking at about a 30" differnce in drop on a shot like that.

I also plan to test a lot of different bullets from my rifle. So for me, the old 1/4 MOA clcik is the way to go.

Not trying to knock their product. Like I said, for some it's a great system. I think they would do well to offer both styles.

I had extensive (online) conversation with one of the Best of the West guys recently. I was expressing concern with the video about their "Long Range Hunter" rifle system. I personally found it hard to watch with continuous "it's just that easy" and "1000yd hunting rifle out of the box" comments from "experts". I was quite supprised how nice these guys actually are and that they do infact understand the need for adjusting for atmospheric conditions, elevation, angle, etc. I was told that specific instructions about these factors come with their rifles and scopes and that they stress the need for practice etc. I truly believe these guys don't want their customers going arround and taking irresponsible shots at game. I'm especially glad to hear that these scopes come with MOA turrets!

That being said....

The BDC turrets are a great idea for simplicity when an experienced shooter is behind the rifle and understands the adjustments that must be made for the factors mentioned above. The issue (from my point of view) is BDC turrets have great appeal to inexperienced shooters who are likely to not make such corrections. When turrets are in MOA and Mills a bit of field experince will show one that the come up is not always the same. It's easy to adjust for these veriables expecially when using something like the NF/X-ball program along with a Kestrel. When the turrets are labeled in yardage it gives the false sense that it should always be the same. Maybe for some of you this is the case but it has not been my experience. I've talked with some local customers of Huskemaw and they have a scarry confidence that the next deer that walks within 1000yds is going to be in their freezer and that it's "as easy as pie". The scarry part? They had not fired their rifles beyond 300yds! I believe this is a direct result of the TV show and videos. This issue was also explained to me by the BOTW guy. To get the TV shows aired they must be entertaining and it's difficult to have lots of info and remain so. I think these guys have a good product and wish them the best but I would never recommend them to an inexperienced shooter. I'm glad they have decided to advertised here where there are many expereinced marksman who can make good use of these scopes.

This is just my opinion, I sincerely hope I don't offend anyone.

I think the best way to use the BDC knobs is to use the actual drop data for your conditions for the initial knob and then make a drop chart for the conditions you will encounter on a hunt.
The drop chart will show the yardage to dial to for your hunting conditions.

If your BDC drop is set at sea level and 90*,and you are hunting@ 7000' elevation and 20* your chart may read like:
800-730
900-840,etc

For your BDC knob to work for 7000' elevation and 20* when you range a monster elk at 800yds and your data was set for sea level and 90*
instead of dialing in 800yds, dial in 730yds, (just numbers for an example)

Last edited:
The online ballistics program at The Best of the West will build a drop chart with corrections for air density and incline.

Truthfully, the systems real improvement is in the calibration of a "True BC" number that allows a shooter to build an accurate BDC turret for alternate air densities. Just like the previous poster discussed. Just use the correct turret. I personally, like using the rule of thumb I posted earlier-anything to eliminate a card to carry in the field.

The second feature that really gets over looked is the wind hold MOA numbers that are also on the elevation turret. When you dial your range, the turret tells you how much hold for a 10 mph wind. I think wind is the most overlooked variable that effects ethical shot placement, and this system makes it very simple to keep track of. Now if we just had one of those wind "lasers" to measure wind down range...

This BDC is only half the system I originally put together and applied for patents on. The other half does account for the air density and incline--it will end the "BDC argument" for good (inside 1000 yards). Maybe by the end of 2010 we will have this final piece of the puzzle in place.

Arron

I just finnaly aquired a Huskemaw. Are you telling me a better one is coming out now?

By the way love the show, and the store

"Scouts Out"

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts