Hunting with Fog in CA

Many years ago I was on a bowhunt on Catalina Island for feral hogs and Spanish goat. The California guys will now where it is for sure. The Wrigley's had a big herd of buffalo there. Real early one morning I got dropped off. It was real foggy and still not light out. I could barely see 3 feet. I started walking to get off the road. At around 25 yards I thought I was hearing bullfrogs.
I kept walking . It was getting light enough to see a little but with fog only about 5 yards. All the sudden I see this big dark shadow in front of me. I thought WTH ? I started looking around me. More dark shadows in the fog and they were getting up off the ground. Buffalo ! I was in the middle of the herd. I saw baby buffalo also. It was getting lighter out. I grabbed my 35mm camera with 50mm lens out of my jacket pocket and snapped a few pics. I was young. Maybe a little stupid at the moment. I zipped out of there back to the road and went the opposite way. Later that day coming back, I was about 200 plus yards from them when they saw me and ran off. When I got the photos developed you could how close I was to them. It looked like a big shadow of a buffalo with the fog. I bet I wasn't more that 15 feet from a couple of them. I'm sure the fog kept my scent from them and not being able to see me either. There was no wind. Scarey chit.