Hunting stock recommendations. HELP!!!!

Take a look at McMillan's A1-3. The forearm is a little wider than most and the comb only drops 5/16" which gives u a good sight picture through the scope if u have a large objective lens.

I really like my HS Precision Sporter stocks on most of my rifles. I run mostly switch barrel Win Model 70's in them. I also like the M40 style stock on my non-Sendero stocked Model 700's.
For a lightweight rig, regardless of scope, you will need a fairly high comb anyway. I like as little drop at heal as possible.

Cheers.

I 've been looking at a brown pounder. How do you like your brown stock s Blacktailer?

I bought a pounder after reading all of the online reviews, never could find one to handle in person beforehand. Way overpriced for the condition it arrived in, and the ergonomics didn't fit me for crap. I'll take a McMillan (or even a B&C) anyday over another Brown.

I have a Brown's that has a very long reach to the trigger and the grip is swept way back for my hands. Feels alot like a Bell and Carlson but lighter. I painted it myself because the paint that came on it was just meh...

It weighs the same as my Manner's with the Elite fill right around 28oz or so.

@Mustang72 My Brown's is sitting in the box the Manner's came in...

No doubt I'd call D'Arcy Echols and order one of his Shrike handles. Edge fill is what I'd do and what I did for my 700/7 Mashburn Super. Really nice outfit!

Hello everyone I'm about to drop off a Remington 700 long action To my smith to be built into a lightweightish .280 Ackley Improved hunting rifle. I'm having extreme difficult picking out a stock for it. I'm looking for a hunting style stock and want to not stray far from a sported style or Monte Carlo type design. It will have a sporter contour barrel and will be topped with a Nightforce scope with 30mm tube and 50mm objective. My issue is that i really would like to have a stock that I can get a really good cheek weld with but not have to add a Riser or shoot a target style stock. Can you guys give me some suggestions on some stocks that would fit what I'm searching for? I was looking at the McMillan Sako Hunter stock but unsure if the stock would provide proper cheek weld. Please include pictures of your rifles if you have them handy. Thank y'all so much for your knowledge and advice!
If you want a stock that will last you forever I'd look at the McMillan Hunter. It has a standard pistol grip and enough forend for any barrel with a nice high comb cheek piece to match your desire. Get in the carbon fiber shell, molded in color, and edge fill and it should weigh somewhere around 25 ounces. . My recent Game Hunter stock (same as the McMillan Hunter but an A3 grip) weighed 23 ounces without pillars. My smith customized the pillar heights to fit my action perfectly to the stock so I ordered it without pillars from McMillan. I built this latest rifle as a long range hunter so the A3 style grip is very comfortable shooting prone.

Check out the Axial Precision stock.
The axial stock is nice too, mine weighs 27oz with pillars and a pic rail on forend. I just prefer a more vertical grip and a lil more comb. It has a negative comb so cheek weld gets higher towards the rear, but I body position keeps me closer to the bolt. It's a good stock though, a lot like the gunwerks Clymer.

No doubt I'd call D'Arcy Echols and order one of his Shrike handles. Edge fill is what I'd do and what I did for my 700/7 Mashburn Super. Really nice outfit!
I've never handled a Shrike, but his Legend stocks fit me great. The stock design mitigates a lot of recoil, as well as being easy on the eye - unlike a lot of the newer offerings from various companies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.